• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Finished Okiefab SYE pics

OT

NAXJA Forum User
Well, I finished the SYE and am happy with the outcome.

I started with a fixed 32 spline yoke from an NP205 and a 27 spline side gear from a D35.

Machined down the side gear and yoke to a -.0010" difference for a perfect press fit.

is.php

is.php

is.php

is.php

is.php

is.php

I cross and stagger drilled the yoke and rosetted the holes and ran a bead around both ends with alloy 500 rod with a 600 degree pre and post heat in the parts oven. I also welded in a spacer to act as a seat for the retainer bolt.

is.php

is.php

is.php

is.php

is.php

Finally, I machined the finish welded yoke and faced the end.

Next I ordered a seal from Tom Woods (which, by the way, is just a CR seal) and machined down a 4"x2" peice of leftover round aluminum stock to fit the seal and TC. Naturally, I had to machine the yoke down to fit the seal.

Then I cut and faced the mainshaft and lathe drilled and tapped the threads for a 1/2"x20 bolt.

Sorry, no pics of these processes, as some jerk took my camera and kept it for several days.

After all that was done, I put it all together and back into the XJ.
is.php

is.php

is.php

Aside from the spare parts T-case (which was free), the seal and bolt were the only bought peices. I spent about $10.00 on it.

Oh sh!t, I forgot about those! I got the axle picture saved somewhere, I'll see if I can find it.

Okie- What group officially sanctions the SYE?

Fergie

Fergie said:
Oh sh!t, I forgot about those! I got the axle picture saved somewhere, I'll see if I can find it.

Okie- What group officially sanctions the SYE?

Fergie
It is sanctioned by the Shadetree Fabricators Association of America.

I'm sure glad you called it a sye and not a short shaft kit. (oh, the driveshaft is shorter now!)

is.php

:D

hinkley

Okie Terry said:
I spent about $10.00 on it.

All company electrcity
All company wear and tear
All company equipment

All real cheap labor, Terry's

Sure it was only $10.00!

hinkley

Hmmm that's some beautiful fab work...

Is it my old eyes or are the long studs on those CAs bent?

Nice job on the 242 SYE Terry!

Mark Hinkley said:
All company electrcity
All company wear and tear
All company equipment

All real cheap labor, Terry's

Sure it was only $10.00!

hinkley
I hate you.

It was done on MY spare time, using MY own cutters, with MYy alloy 500 rod, and I used MY generator for all electricity needed. (well, I lied about the last part)

And the main shaft is 1.75" shorter. I only left the same amount of splines as the yoke has. It wasn't done for driveshaft angle or vibe issues, as I had none to begin with, so length was a minimal issue. It was done to basically save the Earth from the mess the next time I break another mainshaft.

Always naysaying. If it doesn't work out, I can change it.

Naysayer.

Last edited:
woody said:
Hmmm that's some beautiful fab work...

Is it my old eyes or are the long studs on those CAs bent?

Nice job on the 242 SYE Terry!
Just for the record, for the noobs, those aren't my CAs. Not my design. In no way, shape, or form, mine.

Awesome fab, Okie, but just out of curiosity -- factoring a reasonable rate for labor and investment in the equipment, what might it cost any of the rest of us to have that duplicated by a professional machine shop?

Okie Terry said:
I hate you.

It was done on MY spare time, using MY own cutters, with MYy alloy 500 rod, and I used MY generator for all electricity needed. (well, I lied about the last part)

And the main shaft is 1.75" shorter. I only left the same amount of splines as the yoke has. It wasn't done for driveshaft angle or vibe issues, as I had none to begin with, so length was a minimal issue. It was done to basically save the Earth from the mess the next time I break another mainshaft.

Always naysaying. If it doesn't work out, I can change it.

Naysayer.

LOL!!!!!!!!!!!

hinkley

Eagle said:
Awesome fab, Okie, but just out of curiosity -- factoring a reasonable rate for labor and investment in the equipment, what might it cost any of the rest of us to have that duplicated by a professional machine shop?

good question, I am always interested in this......this project looked like some killer fab, but labor intensive and maybe time-consuming.

I've gotten crap from friends who spot aftermarket products and ask why I didn't make it. I tell them "it wouldn't have been worth it" There have been times I've bought stuff off the shelf where the materials would have been "free" but my time is very valuable.
Depending on my mood, I bill myself out for 50 to a thousand bucks an hour. It doesn't appear that many people account for this. Some people may be better off just buying some damn thing. In this case however, I think every minute spent on this project was worth it in experience, knowledge and the process of challenge. Okie can "take a credit" against his "labor hour billing" for what he gained in the "process" even though the "product" may have cost more to produce based on operator and machine time. Definitly good stuff going on there.

still curious Jokie, without trimming the actual hours to support the idea that this was a 10-dollar mod.......how many man-hours for everyone that had a hand in this?

Eagle said:
Not considering the time for pre and post heating, you can figure around 20 to 24 hours for figuring dimensions, machining, welding, and remachining the yoke, flange, and shaft.

A chunk of aluminum (the only raw material used) the size of what I used, will run around $40 to $50 at current prices. I had my own aluminum. It may be cheaper to buy a flange and design around that. I got my dimensions from a Tom Woods flange. Turning down a stock tail cone to fit the seal is very doable, it's what many companies do.

Shop labor rates vary, but IMHO, it would be more cost effective to buy the kit unless one has the skills and access to such equipment.

Sorry I can't give any ballpark figures, but it may take someone else less or more time than it took me. Also, it is very difficult to just tell someone what you want and actually get what you described to the "T".

Beezil said:
still curious Jokie, without trimming the actual hours to support the idea that this was a 10-dollar mod.......how many man-hours for everyone that had a hand in this?
For just design, and physical labor, it was all me. However there were many that stopped what they were doing to watch. That was probably several man hours wasted for them.

Back