• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Reverse light switch....

JeepXJ93

NAXJA Forum User
My g/f's 98 for some reason only has reverse lights SOMETIMES. We think that it has to do w/ some kind of switch that is toggled when you shift into reverse. If we jiggle the shift handle around a little they will come on and off so we are thinking either the linkage needs to be tightened or this switch that is triggered is off somehow...her bro knows how to fix it if it is the switch but he said he had trouble finding it...does anyone know where the switch can be found? Thanks for any help.

What year and transmission? The manuals have little "button" switches that are actuated by shifting to reverse from inside the transmission, and the AW4 has an external switch that is actuated by the shifter handle and shift rod.

If it's the AW4 (automatic,) then you need to look at the transmission on the outside. Follow the shifter cable down the the transmission on the driver's side. Go STRAIGHT across to the passenger side, and you'll see where the shifter rod exits the transmission case. The shifter rod runs through the switch at that point.

The electrical connection is up under the hood near the firewall, the large nut tightens a collet down on the shifter rod, and there is a small "adjuster" bolt near the top of the switch. The switch proper is a small "fan" shaped device, looking about like a quarter-circle.

I won't go into the process of cleaning and rebuilding the NSS, as it has been done to death and there are a few excellent articles already done. I believe that MadXJ has already done a good writeup (www.madxj.com)

5-90

wow thanks for the info...that deffinatly sounds like it pinpoints it perfectly...i'll take a look at it tomorrow. Thanks

I had a similar problem with my 95. When we found out how much it was going to cost to get the part we needed we opted to just get the backup lights wired to a toggle switch under the dash. As long as they can turn on they're legal, at least in New Hampshire.

Back