• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Rubbing noise after 2" lift

Gridikal

NAXJA Forum User
I really can't pinpoint it except it's comming from the driverside. Sounds exactly like plastic rubbing on the tire but there is none anywhere near the tire? Sounds pretty bad and especially on interstate- any clues to check clearences on things would be great!
In the rear are 2" blocks :gag: with the 9" rubicon u bolts and in the front are 2" teraflex spacers, i put in just the front last week and it did fine, after the blocks though is when the noise started, o yeah and only 235 A/T's

Last edited:
Did you put a 2" poly spacer in the front? If so, did you put it directly on top of the coil, or did you put the factory rubber isolator between it and the coil? If it is a poly spacer directly on top of the coil spring, this will often cause a rubbing, squeeking sound. Put some grease between it and the coil and it will get rid of the noise. Just a possibility.

GottaBeJeep said:
Did you put a 2" poly spacer in the front? If so, did you put it directly on top of the coil, or did you put the factory rubber isolator between it and the coil? If it is a poly spacer directly on top of the coil spring, this will often cause a rubbing, squeeking sound. Put some grease between it and the coil and it will get rid of the noise. Just a possibility.
Yeah I'll try that, also I heard that the flat side of the spacer should point toward the engine? Mines pointing out, and the spacers are under the stock isolators- but again didnt start doing this until I did the rear

dothedew24_7 said:
Yeah I'll try that, also I heard that the flat side of the spacer should point toward the engine? Mines pointing out, and the spacers are under the stock isolators- but again didnt start doing this until I did the rear

flat side goes inside twords motor.

red91inWA said:
flat side goes inside twords motor.
but why? is it somthing i should rip apart tonight or somthing I ould save for a rainy day- I dunno if I could even get them things off to turn them, took a good couple wacks with a rubber mallet to get em on

when i did my lift i used a little lithium grease from a grease gun and that hasnt squeaked yet. I put it on top and a little on the insde of the spacer and around where the coil sits on the perch havent had any problems yet...

i dont know why the flat side goes in - mine are out too... havent had any problems yet... will rotate when i get a chance but yeah....

hope this helps
-XJ_Ranger

aight guys, Im going on a 200 mile trip tmar and really need some help, drove it back from work tonight and its still there, usually only when letting off the gas or decelerating, has a rubbing plastic/ flat tire sound

Are you sure everything you loosened or took off to do the install is tightened and back in place correctly? Could you have damaged or hit something else in the process?

I checked everthing, the only thing I've noticed is the front sway bar moved a little bit, no rear swaybar ( you can see where it used to be by shiny metal) but it only moved maybe 1/2 "
-also i think its in the front left for sure, but what could I have done when I raised up the rear to make the noise, it was working great before that

When you put the block(bad idea)in the back you changed the angles in the driveline,the u-joints are now running at a different angle and they are making a noise.
New joints without a wear pattern may help,grease what you have if you can.
A degree shim or TC lowering may be the next step.
Wayne

Wayne Sihler said:
When you put the block(bad idea)in the back you changed the angles in the driveline,the u-joints are now running at a different angle and they are making a noise.
New joints without a wear pattern may help,grease what you have if you can.
A degree shim or TC lowering may be the next step.
Wayne
The back is fine, its the front is the problem. Back from trip, went to green banks observatory in WV. crossed the mountian and sure enough I'd let off the gas and there is the rubbing/vibration noise. Sounds like rubbing but I can feel the vibration in the floorboard. I went back through everything last night and tightened, greeased everything. I know the u-joint are going bad but this is not the typical u-joint noise.

edit:and while I'm at it i guess I better replace all the u joints since the start/ stop slipping is driving me nuts, are all the u-joints in the driveline the same size and what size would that be, did a search I cam up with some 760 number although I have no clue what that means

Last edited:
Drive line angle changes in the front with the lift also_On gojeeps web site he has a article on the proper way to re-align after a lift.
Your U-joints in the drive shafts are 1310 size spicer #5-153X ,about $10 each,The large axle U-joint is the 760 which replaced the 297 size,the small size is the 260 IIRC.
Not sure what the front drive shaft cv joint size is but pull the shaft and find if the noise goes away.
Wayne
PS what about the unit bearings on the axle.

hold up, check the rubber hose coming out of your front diff(if yours has one mine is a 2001). when i put the lift on mine, the front drive shaft would rub it. making a reasonably loud noise. especially when decelerating.(less engine noise). check that.

I had vibes before the lift thanks to the u-joints, 105k miles so they needed replaced anyways. I still have those vibes, maybe a little stronger now but this noise does not sound like it can be related. The bearing idea sounds like it may be applicable but I dont know how to check it. I'm gettin more and more worried though as time goes on thikin I'm grindin somthin down.

Definately check the vent tube from the front diff. This happened to me, and i thought my tire was rubbing, then thought my bearings were going...I had a 3" hole along the rubber tube from the driveshaft Ujoint rubbing it.

To check bearings, jack up the tire off the ground. Wiggle the tire back and forth, and up and down and see if there is any movement (not steering, but really small) If there is, time to replace....
-Nick

just checked over everything again. Vent tube has plenty of clearence and the berings are solid as a rock. The only thing that looks funny is the lca on the drivers side (side thats making the noise) where the bushing goes through the openings in the lca it musta squeezed the metal together or somthing. but Its been like that since I got it, maybe the lift magnified it or somthing? Anyway excuse the phone pics, it's all i have.

464.JPG

Picture012.jpeg

Picture009.jpeg

Picture013.jpeg

Back