• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Tire preservation??

JeepXJ93

NAXJA Forum User
I have a set of 31" tires on 15" xj wheels...sitting in my backyard...brand new!!! However the new jeep i bought i must pay off before i lift it...so the 31's must wait for about a year before i get to mount them. If i leave them in the back yard all year (CT) cold in the winter and hot in the summer...dont i have to worry about the rubber starting to crack? Any ideas welcome. thanks.

Garage isnt sealed, will that still help...i have a shed that we keep the tractor in...would that be just as good? i'm thinking about loading up the tireshine..think that will help at all?

Just get yourself some black plastic trash bags and put one on each tire and tie it up. They will look like new when you take them out. If they aren't on rims, it will keep the water from sitting in the tires and giving a place for mosquitos to breed next spring.

old_man said:
Just get yourself some black plastic trash bags and put one on each tire and tie it up. They will look like new when you take them out. If they aren't on rims, it will keep the water from sitting in the tires and giving a place for mosquitos to breed next spring.

I'd do this, and stash them in the shed. My garage is so full of crap it'll take me till next spring to clean it out.

JeepXJ93 said:
Garage isnt sealed, will that still help...i have a shed that we keep the tractor in...would that be just as good? i'm thinking about loading up the tireshine..think that will help at all?

Don't even think about using tire shine type products. They will do FAR more harm than good to the tire. The glycerin? in them causes the rubber to dry out.

I will take the wheels off your hands if you would like you wouldnt have to worry about them cracking. Also I don't know if this works but a buddy of mine has a little ricer and he uses petroleum jelly on his wheels. They shine up good too.

The two things that age crack tires are ozone and UV. The suggestion to store them in black plastic trash bags will completely eliminate the UV, and slow down the ozone. I think in the baggies in the shed will be fine for a year ... or more.

Good deal, i will do the trash bag idea then...this is new..tireshine actually damages tires? So when i shine up the camaro the tireshine hurts or is this only if the tires arent driven on? Thanks for the help!

And let the air out of them, not all the way but down to 10-12lbs or so. If possible mount them on a wall, don't just lay them on top of each other.

JeepXJ93 said:
Good deal, i will do the trash bag idea then...this is new..tireshine actually damages tires? So when i shine up the camaro the tireshine hurts or is this only if the tires arent driven on? Thanks for the help!

it's whats in it. Just like armor-all once the chemicals are in your interior they start a breakdsown process if you don't constantly use it.

Back