• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Code 54

jeep88xj

NAXJA Forum User
When I did a coolant flush I got water on the computer and now it won't restart and I getting code 54. What is code 54? When I shut it down while doing the flushing it would hesitate starting then click right over.

Your handle is 88, but 88's don't throw a code, so I'm assuming a 91-up, pre OBD2...in which case, 54 is cam positon sensor (the one inside the distributor). Check the wiring and connectors first, including the connector on the computer, and make sure everything is dry. If still no go, this worked when the cam sensor on my stepson's 93 went bad: with ignition on, disconnect and reconnect the plug by the distributor. When I did this on his, the computer finished its boot sequence, and it would start once (I had to do it for every start). A long shot but worth a try. If it does work, it's a guarantee that your problem is in the sensor.

Back