• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Dashboard vents and no heat...

Gil BullyKatz

NAXJA Forum User
Hmmm.... I only get airflow out of my dashboard vents on the ac/vent settings. Nothing on heat/defroster, only hot air I get is from defroster/floor.
I can hear the flapper box open and close when I change settings, the fan works and changes speed, but again, nothing out the dash vents with heat/defroster...
Where do the dash vents get hot air directed from?
Is there any tubing/duct that might've gotten disconnected? Is there any way to check without taking out entire dash?
TIA

DCP01262sml.JPG

The picture shows the vents/flaps just above the center console -- it's from a 91. I think you want to look at the connections pointed to by the yellow arrows.

There is also the possibility of a disconnection at the selector switch.

(no...you do not want to take you dash apart !)

Lou said:
DCP01262sml.JPG

The picture shows the vents/flaps just above the center console -- it's from a 91. I think you want to look at the connections pointed to by the yellow arrows.

There is also the possibility of a disconnection at the selector switch.

Exactly what I needed..Thanks, hope it's a similiar setup on my '88!

Lou said:
DCP01262sml.JPG

Well I removed the lower half of the dash and found it a little different from this pic, my '88 has 3 vaccum actuators and each one seemed color coded, all open and closed ok, except for a yellow coded one, which seemed to control the floor vents.
To test it, I switched vaccum lines and it open/closed ok. So I don't know if this is in anyway connected to my dash vents which still work in every setting except heat/defrost :dunno:
Do the vaccum lines that operate these 3 actuators all come from the heater/ac controls mid-dash, under the radio? I yanked my radio out, took a peek and everything seemed ok, and is it possible that only 1 vaccum line is bad? This is sooo annoying...
I buttoned everything back up and zip tied the lever for the floor vent in the open position with winter approaching and all :D

Arrrrgg

Yes the switch actually switches all the vacuum lines. Since some of them work, you can assume that you have vacuum. The problem then becomes tracing that hose back to the switch. It is either kinked or plugged, or the switch is faulty.

Back