• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Finally a real axle! 9"

Ghost

Member Number 257
NAXJA Member
So I got a Ford 9" dropped in my lap yesterday. Came from a 80's Bronco. Looks to be about 60 something inches wide. The perches are really close to the right width.... I did notice that the pinion is offset a little in the housing. Does this matter? Am I missing something? Tag numbers are:
WFE AW 1A16
3L50 9 S319B

So Do I have a 3.55 geared Limited slip? Does the 9 have a carrier break or jsut one carrier?

Congrats on the 9". It doesn't have a carrier break. If you want a good L/S, I have a nice 31 spline Auburn gear unit I'll sell cheap, or if you want a full Detroit, there are a lot of Nascar detroits on Ebay. The pinons will sit offset on a 9", .

Rob

The only issue with Felix's offer is the EB 9" will be a 28 spline until not a 31...

New axles would fit but that kinda defeats the cheap 9" - I got mine free too - from an 86' E-150 Van - 69" flange to flange; we took out 4" to center the pinion and threw in some 4.85's and a mini spool - I shaved it and threw on a truss - 4 years later it has a bunch of rock rash but a zero failure rate ;)

Matt

Thanks guys. I'm thinking of running 4.88's and a lock-right or detroit. Just depends on the $$$$ i can scrounge up and what is available at teh time.

Ghost said:
So I got a Ford 9" dropped in my lap yesterday. Came from a 80's Bronco.
QUOTE]

Matt said:
The only issue with Felix's offer is the EB 9" will be a 28 spline until not a 31...

Matt
66-77 Broncos are the EB's w/ 28 spline, but the 78 & later full size should have a 31 splined 9" Always count to make sure though.

Check Ebay for a full Detroit, Nascar wrenchs are always selling them. Just make sure of your spline count, but I would bet $$$ to donutts it's 31.

Rob

Just curious if anyboby is running one of the nascar ebay ones and how they work? I think they are a little different inside but probably just fine.

I bought a Detroit for a 9" for $275 on Ebay. It looks brand new except for the oil. The guy said they made about 20 passes and decided to go to a spool. Just keep looking. I look everyday on Ebay just cuz I'm interested in the 9 ".
This is the "ideal" 9" setup. It's a bit bling-bling however.

3High_Pinion_9-med.jpg

badjeepster said:
Just curious if anyboby is running one of the nascar ebay ones and how they work? I think they are a little different inside but probably just fine.

I got mine from there, Works great. I forget the team that I bought it from, Busch league, but I asked the guy why I see so many for sale. He told me, they use them for 1 race, & change them out. I asked why, he said because they have like a $20 mil budget to spend, & everything is new in the car each race. I got it for $290 shipped.

Rob

got my niner off ebay for 15 bucks drum to drum, 63inch wms, went threw it now has 4.56 gears, a mini spool. new brakes,lines bearings, sounds cool as hell goin around corners to work and works great on the trails. ebay is a good place to find stuff for the nine. mine came out of a 70s truck. found a couple identicle to mine in junk yards.

Back