• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

swapped '04 Rubicon master booster and valve

jjvande

NAXJA Forum User
Hey,

I posted a question a while back about swapping in a new master/booster/prop valve in my '88 and was directed to the MadXJ write-up. this info was good, but it didnt deal with parts from a TJ. I couldnt find anywhere online where someone has done this swap from a TJ, so I went at it.

Let me just say that it IS possible and the results are amazing.

My '88 has a rear D44 with Rubicon discs (same as ZJ). the stock master/booster/valve were not a good match. The stock master didnt pump enough fluid, the booster didnt assist enough, and the valve was not allowing proper pressure to the rear discs.

I got the '04 parts on ebay for $93 with 800 miles on them. Made a 1/4 Al spacer to go between the booster and firewall so that the rod was the correct length. I also had to drill out the hole in the rod to 0.630" so that the stock '88 brake switch could work with all its spacers and what not(flat spot was already there on the TJ). The rubi master used metric fittings and the prop. valve was standard, so i had to buy some new tubing and a flare tool to make custom lines(by far the most time consuming part of the swap). Moved the washer fluid res. foreward 1.0" and cleaned up some of the vacuum lines. the new prop. valve bolted right up to the stock hard lines from the front and rear brakes.

The Jeep now stops like never before(31" tires) and the pedal throw has decreased by about 1/2. i hardly have to press to stop now. simply, one of the best mods I've ever done to the Jeep.

I have pics too, if anyone needs to see. Took two afternoons to complete(8hours) and three trips to the local four(pep, napa, zone, check,) .

total cost:

$93 rubi parts
$15 flare tool
$3.95 fluid
$6 hard lines

cheers

Back