• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

8.25 adjustment spanner pics

Israel

NAXJA Forum User
Does anyone have a pic or two of their spanner to tighten the adjusters in a 8.25 diff? I'm imagining a 4' long 3/4" pipe with a 36mm nut welded on the end and want to make sure I have the right concept.

My 95 factory manual doesn't show the whole tool, only the part visible in use, which attaches to a torque wrench. My guess is that you have the concept right. The adjustment procedure calls for 70 foot pounds of torque, which shouldn't require very exotic welding or materials. You can weld an old socket to the outer end for the torque wrench.

Israel said:
Does anyone have a pic or two of their spanner to tighten the adjusters in a 8.25 diff? I'm imagining a 4' long 3/4" pipe with a 36mm nut welded on the end and want to make sure I have the right concept.
Thats the way we made them when we set up my 8.25 used 36mm nuts off the fronthub and 3/4" tube with a nut welded to the other end, also welded tabs on the back edge of the 36mm nut to keep it from going all the way thru. no pixs sorry.

Same here, just used some conduit, welded a nut inside the conduit, threaded a bolt in and tacked it.

When I get home from work today I'll take a picture of mine and post it on Webshots.

I still have not used it after two years to do my gears :mad:

Mike/NY #300

Great web page Eddie! I don't know how I didn't find that one in all the hours of searching I did. The tool they show looks pretty much exactly like the one I already made. I used 4' long 3/4" pipe from Home Depot and happened to find a coupler that had 36mm (probably closer to 35mm, but close enough) flats and screwed right to the end. Then I inserted a 3/4" bolt on the end to give me something to attach my wrench to and had the mechanics at my work weld the coupler and bolt in place. If I had it to do again, I probably would use a 3' long pipe. Thanks again for the link to the page! I'm going to go read now.

Save yourself a WHOLE lot of running back and forth and make 2 of them. These don't look great,a s they were impromptu and I used materials I had lying around.

is.php

I wanna build a pair of these, also - but I'm sort of confused...

Is the nut used a 36mm (thread size)?...

...or does it physically measure 36mm from flat to-opposite-side flat?

I just want to be extra sure before I build the tool
and then tear apart my axle.

Thanks y'all.

I took a 36 mm bolt and welded it into a 1/2 inch drive socket( the threads into the socket with the head sticking out a bit). This way I could use a long 1/2 inch drive extension with my torque wrench to set the preload.

Back