• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

still debating f1ront or rear.

jeepinxj05

NAXJA Forum User
I have the stock axles, d30 and 35. I'm not planning an axle swap. An Aussie locker for the front is 229.99 but the Aussie for the rear is only 199.99. I have 31" MTs but may end up switching to 32s. Will my d35c hold up to it? If so, I would prefer rear locked over the front being locked.

Dont lock the d35!:looser:

I locked the front first on mine and can go anywhere my friend can go with his rear locked. If anything I can get in farther because both of the front wheels pull over the obstical instead of just pushing against it. On road and in 2wd, you wont even know its there.

AARON

The rear will work better IMHO locked, than the front. Here's why..The front has coils and articulates much better than the leaf sprung rear, meaning it's less likely to pick a wheel up than the rear. So, with both front wheels being in contact with the ground and being open they will usually at least alternate pulling power based on the terrain. The rear when it picks a wheel up (if open) will spin that wheel free with zero help from the other. So, lock the rear and you always have at least one wheel pulling with the rear (more likely to be) tire in the air. May have done a crap job explaining it, but I ran several XJs locked on different ends and the rear locked/open front seemed to work best for me (other than dual arb's of course)...lol

BIGWOODY said:
The rear will work better IMHO locked, than the front. Here's why..The front has coils and articulates much better than the leaf sprung rear, meaning it's less likely to pick a wheel up than the rear. So, with both front wheels being in contact with the ground and being open they will usually at least alternate pulling power based on the terrain. The rear when it picks a wheel up (if open) will spin that wheel free with zero help from the other. So, lock the rear and you always have at least one wheel pulling with the rear (more likely to be) tire in the air. May have done a crap job explaining it, but I ran several XJs locked on different ends and the rear locked/open front seemed to work best for me (other than dual arb's of course)...lol
i think most would agree that a rear locker is better than a front locker, but now when it's in a D35; a locker doesn't do much good when the shafts are snapped like twigs or the carrier mangled.

BrettM said:
i think most would agree that a rear locker is better than a front locker, but now when it's in a D35; a locker doesn't do much good when the shafts are snapped like twigs or the carrier mangled.
32's?

OK, here goes. Locking up the rear is the better choice...for reasons already described. Especially if you're like me and have a 242 transfer. With the 242, locking up the front (except with a selectable locker) will have significant consequences with gear and tire wear). I'm also not sure I buy into the "don't lock a dana 35 issue...depends on how you drive.

That being said, I recommend upgrading d35 axles, then locking the rear first (detroit locker or whatever). When you get the money, get a selective locker for the front.

On climbs, almost all of your traction comes from the rear. I ran a full Detroit rear on my 35 for a year of hard abuse without problems(I've still got the detroit for sale). I switched because I got a deal on an 8.8. Lock it up and enjoy it. If it breaks, upgrade.

Lock the rear. I had my D35 c-clip locked with my 33's and never broke a shaft. It was also my daily driver. If your easy on the skinny peddle, you'll be fine. I did, however, carry spares. People told me the same things "don't waste your money on a D35. Save your money and swap the axle". You can buy a Lock-Right locker used for around $100.00 and sell it for $100.00 when your done with it all day long. Buy it, run it, enjoy it now. If you find you break alot or save up enough cash, sell it and upgrade. Thats what I did. I ran mine and enjoyed it while I was saving for the upgrade. Now that I'm runnin 35's, I'm swapping in a rear D44 but I am keeping the D30 front. It's also locked.

Back