• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Quick Front axle question (waggy)

Ron4x4

NAXJA Forum User
NAXJA Member
I am getting ready to make the brackets to mount my 85 waggy D44, and as I was reading through a thread yesterday, someone I think SeanP, mentioned somthing about rotating the C's on a d60. Am I going to have to do this with the Waggy front end? I can't run out and measure because I am at work. What degree should the C's be at. thanks forthe help
Ron

I'm sorry I don't have the answer, but would you mind sharing the links regarding fabrication of the bracketry and so on to mount a Wagoneer axle up front?

Also-- how do you intend to get your control-arm brackets in the proper geometry?

I only ask because I intend to do the same swap with my 90.

As for fabing up the brackets, No links. I am just matching up the measurements on the stock 30, so that it is a direct bolt in. Except for the track bar. Once I get the axle bolted in, the steering gometery done, and the 7.5 coils in, then I will weld the TB bracket to the axle and install the TB. I will have picts while we are building the brackets, maybe I can post them. My little brother has a shop, and he is thinking we should make a few of each bracket and sell them for less than R.E. $395. Who knows It might be a good idea

Rotating the "C" will just be a pain, if i have to I will but if not, Cool.

I may be interested in buying some of those brackets from you if they're dramatically cheaper than the RE parts.

Yes I'm lazy, but I'm also cheap. 8)

MaineZJ said:
people rotate the C's to get the proper pinion AND caster(camber?) which is "normally" 6degrees
Thanks, do you happen to know if this has to be done to the Wagoneer 44?

Yeah, I'm cheap too, when it comes to explaining to the wife why I need a $400, dollar bracket kit. I'll let you know when they are done.
thanks
Ron

Last edited:
after looking at the axle I don't think I will have to rotate the "C's" but if I do it looks like it may be easier to rotate the third member than the C"s . the C's are welded all the way around.
Does anyone have pictures of the passenger drop Waggy 44 in their jeep? Coil sprung?

I've got a waggy 44 in the front of mine. I didn't rotate the C's at all. When you do that all you're really gaining is a better pinion angle.

If I had more than 6" lift then I would probably consider it.

Also, shortly after I put mine in.....a friend of mine did one on a SAS tacoma project. He HAD to rotate the C's.....and it wasn't all that bad.....just time consuming....I think it took him 2 solid days to cut down all the welds, rotate them, and weld them back up.

Here's my writeup:
http://www.projectxj.com/mods/dana44.htm

And pics:
IMG_4027.JPG

IMG_4028.JPG

IMG_4026.JPG

DSC01527.JPG

Last edited:
good lookin' work, fatwreck. I haven't read the article yet- do you tell how to fab and locate the brackets?

EDIT: he sure does-- brand new set of TJ/XY brackets from Ebay

burntkat said:
good lookin' work, fatwreck. I haven't read the article yet- do you tell how to fab and locate the brackets?

EDIT: he sure does-- brand new set of TJ/XY brackets from Ebay

I had my dana30 and dana44 out from under the vehicle at the same time. So, I just took the measurements off the 30 and located all the stuff on the 44 accordingly.

I have no idea who made those brackets. They were all cut to the right shape....angled for the control arms and everything. When I bought the 44 it came with those brackets.....and the guy said he got them on ebay.....but I haven't been able to find the maker yet. I know they aren't RE brackets.

Thanks man. My plan is to basically have both axles out at the same time-- set the 30 on stands, level the "c"s and take a pinion angle. Set the 44 on another stand and do the same thing- compare pinion angles. if "close enough", proceed with finding the differential between the "C" on the 30 and the coil perch <say, 7 degrees, forward>. Measure for centerline of the perch to the balljoints, and tack in place. And so on.

Basically what you did?

I'm not sure how the pinion angles compare on the 44 and 30. They might be pretty close to the same, but I think the right way to do it is to measure the caster based on a level part of the dana 44 knuckles (I found that a magnetic angle finder works best)......and then set your brackets level once you get that caster dialed in between negative 6 and 9 degrees.

Also, note that I had to cut a chunk of the driver's side waggy spring perch out in order to place my lower control arm mount where it would normally go.

Clayton's Off-Road (of XJ long arm kit fame) has done a number of Waggy front axle conversions into XJs for members of a local club he wheels with. Not sure, but I believe he sells the brackets as a kit. You might also contact him. Clayton has been a generous sponsor of NAC Fest, so I would urge those who don't have the skills to fab their own brackets to at least give him a shout.

Fatwreck, due to the difference in size of the center chunk, did you have any clearance issues with the oilpan or anything else up front? I guess what I am asking is what is the minimal lift you need to fit a waggy 44 in the front of an XJ?

mowlasley said:
Fatwreck, due to the difference in size of the center chunk, did you have any clearance issues with the oilpan or anything else up front? I guess what I am asking is what is the minimal lift you need to fit a waggy 44 in the front of an XJ?

The center section on a 44 isn't that much bigger. I'm running 5.5" lift and it fit just fine. No clearance issues.

I think you could probably get away with 3".

Although if you're swapping to a dana 44 front....then you're probably trying to wheel the thing with something in the 33"+ tire range and you'd want at least 3" of lift anyway.

fatwreck said:
Although if you're swapping to a dana 44 front....then you're probably trying to wheel the thing with something in the 33"+ tire range and you'd want at least 3" of lift anyway.

Eventually hoping for =~ 3 1/2 " and 33s. (LOTS of trimming).

Thanks for the answer.

(Edited to add the thanks.)

Thanks for the heads-up, folks. Found a Waggy 44 for the XJ from a local club member for $150. Nevermind I already have a set of Waggy axles in the back yard-- they're for the Blazer!!

Will give Clayton a yell. Thanks!

I'm at 4" <well, 2" up front due to the bumper and winch!> and am going to 6" all round, so this will be no problem. Thanks again to all!

Back