• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

coil spacer install yes searched

dandecicco

NAXJA Forum User
I have an 87 XJ and will be installing 2" rubber spacers. Stupid questions are:
1) rubber ones can be slid over and put between the spring and isolator correct?

2) RE told be that I need to take apart the isolator with a large pair of channel locks and unscrew it an put them above the isolator and body. How the hell do I do that?

Never played with spacers and would like advice before I start the job, have too many beverages, and cannot figure it out. Thanks

Rocky_Road_Spacer.jpg

they were talking about the bumpstop - it unscrews.
unscrew the bumpstop, pull the isolator out
put the spacer on
put the isloator back on
put the bumpstop back on
wrestle springs back into place

good to go

i didnt have to take my bumpstop off, but i have read that others had... i just manuvered mine around... and it slipped on...

dandecicco said:
The whole thing?! so I just get my channel locks, grab the entire bumpstop in the center of the metal tube someplace and crank on it and it will unscrew at the body/frame. Sounds fun. Thanks

wait, in reflection, the bump stop is the rubber end and continues about 2" up and connects to the other piece mounted to the body/frame. Grab on to the lower section and twist it off. Got it.

You dont need to take the bumpstop off. Rent yourself a strut compressor from Checker or some place. That, or you can remove the lower control arms and do it that way.

Just make sure you disco the swaybar, shocks and trackbar, and that you put the spacer in between the isolator and the body.

Fergie

I think on older XJ's the bump stop unscrews and newer ones they kinda pop in.I know my '88 and '89 screw in.

magoo117 said:
I think on older XJ's the bump stop unscrews and newer ones they kinda pop in.I know my '88 and '89 screw in.

Magoo117, was it the bottom part that unscrewed (rubber, piece +another piece attached to body) It would be the piece in the middle (mine is an 87)

On my 99 i did not have to take the stops off. on my friends 96 grand we had to pull the rubber out and there was a bolt inside the cup we had to unscrew. we used compressors both times but some say they are dangerous, to me it makes things super easy and quick.

When I put the spacers in my 88, I had to unscrew the bumpstops for the spacer to fit up over it. The place they unscrew at is very obvious.

Seems like when I put these on top of 3" coils, all I did was set the frame on jackstands so that the front was in a slight 'drooped' condition but wheels on the ground. Take (one side at a time) tire/wheel off and lower that side so the rotor was almost touching the ground. Once the bumpstop is unscrewed, the coil was flexy enough to wrestle out w/o tools. Install spacer, stop coil, wheel and repeat.

It's a great time to grind or cut the 'bell' lip off the metal parts of the bumpstop. These can catch the coils and make loud springy noises.

The part the rubber bump stop fits in unscrews.My spacers would not fit on without taking the bumpstops out.I have Daystar 1 3/4" spacers.HTH.

kmagnuss_2000 said:
I just slid my 2" spacers on top of the isolators. Do I really need to take that crap apart and switch it around?
No, it wont matter too much. Having the factory isolator between the spacer and the coil will prolong the spacer's life and reduce the wera and tear on it.

Fergie

dandecicco said:
wait, in reflection, the bump stop is the rubber end and continues about 2" up and connects to the other piece mounted to the body/frame. Grab on to the lower section and twist it off. Got it.
jz8m9

HTH
-XJ_Ranger

XJ_Ranger - spray the inside of the spacer with some silicon spray and whack it on with a rubber mallet. It fits...
spacer.jpg

So if I use strut compressors to install my Daystar 1-3/4 inch spacers, what do I really HAVE to disconnect or take off? I'm planning on looking for wing nuts to make my stock sway bar links discos. anyway, but what about the other stuff. Is it necessary on a 95 with stock everything?

Back