• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

heims

cjs98xj

NAXJA Forum User
on my skyjacker rock ready kit i have mad clunking and rough ride, im guessing its the lower contol arm heims??? and if so what do i need to do to replace them, can i just add johnyjoints or any sugerstions as to fix the problem other than getting a new lift or make my own

Currie has ends that I believe will fit the arms but I dont know if they will fit in the subframe mounts!

The only bolt on that I know of is the Teraflex modular ends. They are available with heim, rubber, poly or johnny joint inserts, but aren't cheap. I built my own rubber bushed ends for the frame end by cutting and old heim and welding in a "bushing cradle" from the JKS website. Cured most of my noise. I will build a johnny joint end for the axle later.
Kelly

cjs98xj said:
on my skyjacker rock ready kit i have mad clunking and rough ride, im guessing its the lower contol arm heims??? and if so what do i need to do to replace them, can i just add johnyjoints or any sugerstions as to fix the problem other than getting a new lift or make my own

Are they 3/4in 7/8in or 1-1/4in heims (measured by thread sixe going into the arm)

A heim is a spherical bearing, the only way to increas the life of a bearing is to use a larger one. I use 1-1/4in heims about $75 each with miss alignment spacers for 3/4in bolts, 5/8in size is common, (stock 1-1/4in heims use 1in BOLTS!). I use polly on the other side of the links to help prevent shock loads to the expensive heims. Jonny joints, curry joints, RE-joints they will also relp prevent shock loading to the heim.

Id replace the heims you have for now (easy cheep), if the new ones ware quickly, id build new links that have a non-heim on one end to prevent shock, and upgrade to a larger heim.

I ditched my short lived Pricejacker heims for the Tera Johnny joints. The Tera stuff is a direct bolt in for both left and right hand threads. I now have a MUCH better daily driver ride quality. A few months later a changed out my upper heims with the Currie Johhny joint also. I got rid of the Rock Ready axle cradle and added the Currie Johhny joint axle kit and also switched to the 6" Rock Ready arms. Currie does not make the Johnny Joint for the UCA's is a reverse (left handed) thread so you'll have to keep the heim at one end of your SJ 8" UCA. The 6" arms only have the joint at the frame end, this is why I went with the Currie conversion. (also due to a broken UCA axle mount)

Back