• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Clutch- What is going wrong here?

prljeep

NAXJA Forum User
90 MJ I6 4x4 MT 129k (AX-5 right???)

Two days ago, I went to drive my jeep to work and the clutch was acting weird. It had no feeling to it (a baby could push it in) and it would hard shift into the low gears especially (1 and 2) and reverse. It has recently gotton colder here from say upper 50's at night to upper 30's. The problem still continues-

I assume my clutch isn't burnt out- only because the RPMs do not go out of control when I accelerate (IE the clutch is not enguaging).

With that said- I am assuming it has something to do with hydralic system...????????????? The FSM says use Dot 3 brake fluid in there...is that true?

Could a low fluid/oil level in the tranny cause the hard shifts....

Where do you all suggest I start the investigation?

If you want to start someplace, check the fluid level in the master cylinder. Yes, it uses DOT3 brake, which can pick up moisture easily.

It should be an AX-15 in that, but check the level in that as well. I remember the same thing from my AX-15 when it got cold though; usually after a few miles it would warm up enough to work though - does yours do that?

I guess a definition of work is in order... I would say it gets a "little" better as I drive it more- (un)fortunately- I only drive about 3 miles to work if that- so there is not much time to warm up!

The moisture situation is highly possible- it was super humid for late October and then it rained every other day here.

Is a full drain in order with moisture problems???

I put AX-5 didn't I whoops!!! I meant AX-15...seriously.

Where is the clutch master cylinder located at exactly- I don't ever remember seeing it.

Will moisture show up in there???

Would road splash contamination in the clutch housing cause a soft clutch pedal?

TIA...
so many questions....

It sticks out of the firewall to the driver's side corner.

Check the fluid level to see if it leaked out. If not, the symptoms are those of moisture and you'll have to bleed the system. Do a search and you'll find several threads on bleeding.

The master cylinder is mounted on the firewall just in front of your clutch pedal. They are a notorious part for going out.

Ok- checked the master- it was near empty if not empty. I refilled it and the pedal is slowly starting to come back- better than it was before. I test drove it around the block and it seems to shift ok.

Is it possible with time/age that the fluid has just disappeared. I have never checked the clutch fluid and I do not know about the previous owner. What was left of the fluid was pretty dark.

As your clutch wears the fluid makesup the distence the clutoh arm has to travel. Therefore the fluid goes down (normal). It sure wouldn't hurt to bleed the thing anyway to get all the moisure out of the system before winter. Brake fluid is hygroscopic, it absorbs moisure out of the air. Moisure in the system can mean no clutch when it freezes.

RangerRick said:
As your clutch wears the fluid makesup the distence the clutoh arm has to travel. Therefore the fluid goes down (normal). It sure wouldn't hurt to bleed the thing anyway to get all the moisure out of the system before winter. Brake fluid is hygroscopic, it absorbs moisure out of the air. Moisure in the system can mean no clutch when it freezes.

That's true on the Brake system. In the Clutch, it's actually opposite: as the disc wears, you get more fluid in the MC.

So, something in the system must have leaked.

Back