• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

leaf front question

lankchevy

NAXJA Forum User
ive been reading up on doing a leaf front swap and am starting to like the idea over a long arm because i would think leaves would be alot harder to mess up. my question is, if i reinforced the stock lca bracket and used that for my rear spring hanger, and fabbed up a crossmember/shackle hangers for the front, would the springs be the same width apart as a yj or waggy? looking at some writeups its looks like the leave spring perchs on waggy axles didnt even have to be moved. im thinking about using stock yj springs in the front or jcw 7 leaf waggys and then get a 1 or 2 in block for my rear to level it out (already have 3" bds leaves and a 2" shackle) then running waggy 44s front and rear with the 33s i already have or get some 35s maybe.

kolby

ya i checked out bretts buildup on pirate, and billavistas writeup on pirate, but what im asking if u do it like both of them did, is a waggy 44 already set up from the factory with the right perch widths? theres another guy on here with a front leaf swap but i can rember his name or find it by searching. none of the writeups say what the center pin to center pin measurement is and if it is the same as a waggy or yj.

kolby

Mines a front leaf swap but not a d44,

My 78-79 f350 d60 is 31.5in spring perch width center to center. Some d44s would have the same spring perch width.

On perch is cast into the housing, your not gonna beable to relocate that.

I did not use YJ leafs or the stock LCAs.

i didn't use the stock LCA mounts, I cut them off and used lots of 1/4" plate in the same area. in hindsight, plating/reinforcing the stock mounts and redrilling them farther back and straight would be a good way to go.

the width will be right for a Waggy D44, however those come spring under, so you need to weld new perches on top, and the driver's side is cast so you need to weld the perch on top of the cast section.

I am almost done with mine but i just got it sitting on the ground. I used 2" BDS YJ's in the front and a 6" spring and a 2" block in the back. i put a 44 out a 78 f150 in the front and a 60 in the back. I plan on running 37 or 38's . the front is about 1.5" low in the front i may change springs in the front.
f64b82c1.jpg

f64b82b0.jpg

f64b82d1.jpg

Back