• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

How much should I get my driveshaft shortened?

verrive

NAXJA Forum User
Hey Guys,
I am curious how much I should get my driveshaft shortened? Here is a pic of it currently with my Dana 35 and I am going to a Dana 44. I asked a friend of mine and he said about an inch, I just want some more opinions before I drop some money :D

shaft3.jpg

And I know I should go SYE and CV DS but at the moment the budget can't get it.

Thanks,
Kevin

verrive said:
Hey Guys,
I am curious how much I should get my driveshaft shortened? Here is a pic of it currently with my Dana 35 and I am going to a Dana 44. I asked a friend of mine and he said about an inch, I just want some more opinions before I drop some money :D

shaft3.jpg

And I know I should go SYE and CV DS but at the moment the budget can't get it.

Thanks,
Kevin

Best thing to do is install the D44 and measure. Call your drive shaft shop and they will tell you exactly where to measure from and to. Then take your measurements and shaft to them and let them do the work.

Problem is, by lifting, you already need a slightly longer one, and the difference between the D44 and 35 is "about an inch", so you are only guessing to take off an inch or maybe less?

Install everything and take it to your driveshaft shop and let THEM measure it.

I don't know how well that would work. If it was way to long it could tear my crap up and the drive shaft shop is like 40+ miles away ;) I'll give them a call like Willis suggested and we'll see what happens ;)

verrive said:
I don't know how well that would work. If it was way to long it could tear my crap up and the drive shaft shop is like 40+ miles away ;) I'll give them a call like Willis suggested and we'll see what happens ;)
It's called 4HI. :idea:
Take the driveshaft out and drive it there.

You'd have to seal up the rear hole before driving it though since you don't have an SYE. I'd wait though.

Back