• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

I'm a CB radio retard

Gridikal

NAXJA Forum User
Aight, all the cool guys have CB's- I want one. And I do actually need one for when I go ridin with some buddies. I know this much. Need CB radio, coax cable, antenna, and antenna mount. I did a search but all I can up with was pics of antenna mounts. So how bout some reccomendations? I guess I could just go to Wal-nut and get one of those, but I want yall's opion before that if there is something out there better worth the money. I actually have an old cobra down in the garage- maybe I could use that?

I just have the radio though. nothing else. no connectors, no cable, and not even the mic.- also don't know if it works, dont have the connector that plugs into the back of it to power it up

cobra is a top brand and works great in my and my mothers rigs.

the coax cable is a special type called RG-58 and has special ends that can be purchased at radio-trash.

The antenna mount its self must be grounded to the system

for the best sound - run the power lead right off the battery - you'll get less RF from the engine this way (RF being unwanted hissing)

i wired mine with a connector and an inliune fuse - a good idea. the connector came in handy when i went wheeling with a friend and he didnt have a CB and i just grabed mine outta my rig, made a ciagrette adaptor quik and grabed a spare magnetic antenna and we were good to go.

my inline fuse is a 7.5 A IIRC (spade fuse like in your fuse block) spade fuse holder and fuses and the quik connectors can be purchased at radio-trash as well

have fun.
-XJ_Ranger
(ill try and get pics tomorrow)

dothedew24_7 said:
I just have the radio though. nothing else. no connectors, no cable, and not even the mic.- also don't know if it works, dont have the connector that plugs into the back of it to power it up
one more thing -
sodder and di-electic grease do wonders

Do you NEED one, no - but it's really really nice to have and some clubs require them.

Most people will say it's 90% antenna, and 10% radio. I just got a cheapie radio from Radioshack, but get a good antenna (Wilson 1000 is great), otherwise you can't transmit very far.

If you can get the radio to work, use it.. it's free, if not get what you know how to use. I bought one with too many knobs and just sold it later since I didnt know what to do with it.

Check out a local CB shop to see if they have the stuff to get it up and running again. Some guys that are into the radio stuff like those old radios better than the new ones.

-Marisha

Is there like some kinda package deal? or maybe like a website that has all this stuff? Radioshack its like an hour away for me

Please don't use the term "retard". It is extremely offensive and insensitive to the thousands of persons who actually have developmental disabilities.
B.

dothedew24_7 said:
Is there like some kinda package deal? or maybe like a website that has all this stuff? Radioshack its like an hour away for me

Check out a truck stop if there's one close by. They usually have a CB's and a bunch of accessories.

Google and yahoo are wonderful things. Here's one site, but if you do a search you get all kinds of stuff. Ebay too if you know what your looking for.

http://wholesalecbradio.com/

-Marisha

Beej said:
Please don't use the term "retard". It is extremely offensive and insensitive to the thousands of persons who actually have developmental disabilities.
B.
hmmm... "citizens band radio challenged" :D

dothedew24_7 said:
You can buy from Radio Shack on-line, and they'll ship directly to your house. If you're anywhere near an Interstate, see if there's a truck stop near you. I have both T/A and Pilot near me, and both usually have pretty good prices on CBs and accessories.

"Please don't use the term "retard". It is extremely offensive and insensitive to the thousands of persons who actually have developmental disabilities. "

It is the people who refer to those thousands as "retards" who are offensive, in the context of "I'm a CB radio retard " it is fine.

just get a cheap magnet ant. with coax built in... it'll work fine for the trails....

KiwiXJ said:
It is the people who refer to those thousands as "retards" who are offensive, in the context of "I'm a CB radio retard " it is fine.
No, its not. The usage of the word implies that one lacks intelligence and it is clearly a term of diminution. Period. It is hurtful and offensive to persons with developmental or cognitive disabilities, a population I have worked with for a very long time. Please don't use it or any other prejudicial term, your use of it provides acceptance for others who may not normally use it. Its not funny, its just hurtful and insensitive.
B.

Last edited by a moderator:
Try these guys http://www.firestik.com/index.htm [might not work as a link] they have a lot of good of info, and you can get antennas there too. If you are just wanting a budget radio try the low end Cobra $50 it sounds better than my $80 Uniden. Or try a cb shop that offers repairing services. They might have somthing that was brought in for repair and never picked up.

either get a noise filter if you have an older xj becasue mine didnt come with one and there is so much engine interferance i cant even use mine when the jeep is on. THe solution i think is to mount my antenna in the back using a ball mount i bout at radio crap the other day.

if anyone knows the reason why i have all the intereferance you can chime in cuz i cant figure it out. grouned to the frame of my seat, since i dont have any carpet they are easy accessible for grounding, and the power is from the battery..... so i dont know why but for some reason the coax going around the engine produces a ton of engine noise . but im not trying to steal your thread.

check the sheild on your RG58 cable for damage.

is your mount itself grounded?

has the cable ever been underwater (submerged)?

when you say that your "coax cable" is runnin through the engine compartment, do you mean that literaly? usualy the antenna is mounted in the back, and the "coax" shouldnt have to go through the engine bay at all...

also check your connection at the CB its self see if there is any crud there.

try annother ground, just for kicks and good luck dellstopjeep!

Beej said:
No, its not. The usage of the word implies that one lacks intelligence and it is clearly a term of diminution. Period. It is hurtful and offensive to persons with developmental or cognitive disabilities, a population I have worked with for a very long time. Please don't use it or any other prejudicial term, your use of it provides acceptance for others who may not normally use it. Its not funny, its just hurtful and insensitive.
B.

nice :lecture: now about that lack of cb intelligence issue.....
dothedew I believe you will want to learn how to RETARD the background noise with the squelch when you get it all set up. You may need to RETARD the outgoing signal by adjusting the antenna after measuring with a good RF meter so you don't burn it out when you transmit. If you have gain control with the radio then you can RETARD the incoming signal as needed but i feel a lack of intelligence myself on that gain issue, I'm still gain retarded I could say. Then when you get some retard bleeding across channels with nonsense over the airwaves from an illigally boosted radio out of (pick your favorite State, I wouldn't want to offend anyone) just keep that squelch knob way up so you can only hear the guy right behind you on the trail when he tells you not to give so much throttle on the obstacle but rather to RETARD the accelerator a little bit after you get enough momentum. Reading this thread I hope your knowledge of CB's will no longer be retarded. My CB was almost stolen last week. The retarded thieves ripped it out of the bracket, cut the two wires, then only had to unscrew the antenna cable and they would have had it out, but no, they did all that damage then left it sitting there on the passenger floor. Should be easy to fix and it could be worse, they could have taken it and then I'd have to go get a new one. I like my CB, nice cheap small compact easy to use Uniden rig but still packed with cool features.

Beej said:
B.

I usually dont get into these things, and normally I would side with ya beej.....BUT, in this case the use of the word was proper. He is simply stating that he is behind when it comes to cb's. Such as timing that is behind is retarded. He is not pokeing fun at a developmentally challenged person in any way.
I agree the term is normally used in an improper way, and was the norm for years. Im sure it started out to be a 'medical term' but over the years has become a way to insult someone, and has evolved into a 'politically incorrect' word.
Just the way I see it, and we are both intitled to our opinions. Also, I give you credit for working with the folks. My brother works for ARC (?) and although Im fairly comfortable in situations involving chalenged people, I couldnt do it every day, I give him tons of credit for doing it.

Back