• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

New to the XJ Scene

Tazs93XJ

NAXJA Forum User
Hello Everyone..

Just sold my TJ and I am starting to build a 1993 XJ..

Here is what I am going to do...and need help with tire size and what I have to cut...

Rock Krawler Super 8 System with Rear Coil Over's
Dana 60 Rear
HP dana 44 front...with Hi Steer...

Can I fit 37's with the Bush wacker cut out flares?...Or do I have to settle with 35's...I just need some pics on what and where I would have to trim...

Also..What size rim and backspacing is needed...seems alot is different from my TJ..

I would love to go to 37's because I want to go with 5.13 gears...

any Help would be appreciated...I am in the process of ordering all the parts now...

Thanks

TAZ

Tazs93XJ said:
Hello Everyone..

Just sold my TJ and I am starting to build a 1993 XJ..

Here is what I am going to do...and need help with tire size and what I have to cut...

Rock Krawler Super 8 System with Rear Coil Over's
Dana 60 Rear
HP dana 44 front...with Hi Steer...

Can I fit 37's with the Bush wacker cut out flares?...Or do I have to settle with 35's...I just need some pics on what and where I would have to trim...

Also..What size rim and backspacing is needed...seems alot is different from my TJ..

I would love to go to 37's because I want to go with 5.13 gears...

any Help would be appreciated...I am in the process of ordering all the parts now...

Thanks

TAZ

Wow, you don't mess around with the factory junk do you? :) Yeah, you should be able to clear 37's no problem with a decent amount of trimming of the fenders. I would go with 5.23 gears if I were you as I think that is the lowest you can go with a hp dana 44, but 5.13 will work too and are more common. What tires are you leaning towards (mtrs, bfg Krawlers, Boggers)? I like the mtrs. They are the most streetable and a good off-road tire, but not really good in the mud, so take that into consideration. Are you going to drive this on the street or trailer it?
Troy

Big Red said:
Are you going to drive this on the street or trailer it?
Troy

Every day driver...I like to build Jeeps that can do both..

My TJ had 35's with the RE long arm Kit...Dana 44 rear, HP 30 in the front..4.88 gears, Detroits front and rear...

I have 3 kids and ran out of room..hahahaha...

If anyone has pictures of where I need to cut, that would help alot...

I want to get the Fenders done before I start to install anything else...

Also...Does anyone make Body armor for the XJ?...

Thanks again

TAZ

Yeah what everyone else said...except about back spacing...I am running 8 inches with 35s and Eagle 589s I think they only have one back spacing which is the normal 3.75(I think) anyway going that big it won't matter much.

Sounds like you are going to jump right in. The biggest questions lie in what type of wheeling you are going to be doing. The setup you are outlining is going to set you back a few $$$. If you are going to really be wheeling this rig, then I recommend that you start with a firm foundation. Unlike your previous rig, XJ's don't really have a frame. Big lifts and wheeling can lead to unibody failure if you don't reinforce before you start.

Spend a few $$$ and plate your frame rails and put in some strong rocker protection. The added rigidity will be a long term bonus.

If you have time, I really recommend going on some outings with a bunch of XJ's and see different approaches to lifts and trimming. Even local meet and greets will be a big help.

Oh, by the way, welcome to NAXJA.

Link no worky worky.

The search is your best wepon. Look for: sleeving, frame, bushwackers, fenders, rocker guards, slidders and whatever else your going to do.

Are you going to put in a cage? Sounds like your going to need it, not only for safety, but also the coilovers in the rear.

There are several ways of beefing up the frame rails out there. Most people just fab their own. You can get rectangular tubing and slice one side off and line the frame rails in sections, since they aren't totally straight or flat. I've recently found another weakness, the frame as it goes up over the front tires. I "modified" mine on a ledge at Moab so the fenders don't match the doors by over an inch. Most of the reinforcing up and over the axles is done by laying flat plate on either side and then forming a piece to weld to the bottom.

Oh the other thing you need to brace is the frame rails around the steering box. They tend to crack if you horse big tires around in the rocks.

I will see if I can find some pix.

Check here for pix of some of our Colorado trails and the ones we run at Moab

http://www.4x4getaways.com

Last edited:
Back