• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Headlights quitting at random, also, how to rewire?

Jackhill442

NAXJA Forum User
Hello, I have a 96 Country with 190K. I was on the interstate the other night and the headlights went out. Turned them off and back on, and they were working fine. Occassionally, when I pull out the switch to turn them on, they don't come on at first, but then several seconds later. Bad headlight switch? If so, expensive? Also, I have heard about rewiring the headlights to achieve greater light output. How is this done? Thanks so much.

I rewired mine by using the wire leading to the light to activate a relay instead of the light, and then running a fused wire from the battery to the headlight, through the relay. Use one relay for the high beams and one for the low beams. I also used 4 separate fuses on it (left/right, high and low beams). It made somewhat of a difference and now the headlights get an almost perfect connection with the battery/alternator.

The headlight switch has a built-in circuit breaker. If you run higher-than-stock wattage headlights it will trip and reset upon cooling. There are other reasons that may cause a high amperage draw from stock lights. Interim workaround is use low beams only until you can fix.

Fix is either a new switch, if all else is OK. If you run better headlights, then the rewire with relay and #10 wire is recommended. Drawing the acual power straight from the battery is best.

The dealer may not be proficient at replacing the switch (mine wasnt). It is a couple minute process that involves pressing a release button to remove the knob, then simply unscrew the switch nut.

See Go Jeep's site for re-wiring yiur headlights to eliminate the the on-off cycling and to add heavier wires to increase voltage to the lamps, increasing the light output. It made a big difference to my 2001 XJ. The stock wiring is way to small.

http://go.jeep-xj.info/HowtoHeadlightLoom.htm

Back