• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Swaybar gone.

jeepguy97

NAXJA Forum User
Besides the obvious handling issues, will removing the front sway bar have any negative affects? Like will it stress the track bar any. Comments welcome.

i have a theory about it that it will wear out your springs faster. without the bar your springs are having to work just a little bit harder in turns and are taking some more force. Therefore, in my head, that would cause them to wear out a little quicker and sag faster. Of course i have no idea if this is true.

dizzymac said:
Don't remove it, just get quick disco's. You'll see a noticible difference in handling if you remove it.
sure he will notice a difference, but when i ran without one for a few months and then put on quick discos, i noticed a distinct differnece in the ride. before it floated over bumps much better no it kind of absorbs them roughly. at least i can corner fast now though. but yeah, to wrap up what i said, there you go

Driving without the swaybar is similar to the rollcage...you never really want to test out either of them in an emergency situation. While it is possible to drive the Jeep of rmonths without a swaybar and 'get used to' the handling, the fact is that the presence of the swaybar helps keep the front end under control that much better, and if it allows you to sideswipe a minivan full of kids instead of broadsiding it, that's a good thing. Right?

im caught in this paradox too - with the swaybar disconected, my rig drives like a caddy with blown shocks - ultra smooth, but when its connected, it rides like my ES3000's are frozen solid (then again, they just might be)

I am running 8 inch coils with 2 inch spacers on the front and dont run a sway bar. Scary? Sure but I try and not drive it on the highway much.
As far as hurting anything....NOPE! IMHO

I'm the same as DrMoab,8" and 2" spacers,I have no sway bar and I drive it to work everyday.It does have alot of body roll but it is not unsafe for me in my opinion.I dont drive like Tony Stewart on the road,some of you know I do drive like him offroad though!!!Remember drive with your head,not on it.

Well the thing is, I hate to spend the money for disconnects if i don't really need the swaybar. I know people who buy disconnects and never use them because they say you don't need the sway bar any way. I was just curious as to opinions of those who have it permantly disconnect and if you fel its unsafe. Maybe I'll just get some wing nuts to attach it with.

When I lived in Missouri we had annual safety inspections. If any suspension component was missing or broke it had to be replaced before you could pass. I had an end link break on my 86 Ford Mustang 5.0 and the garage told me it was broke and even though it is just the sway bar it HAD TO be fixed. I paid them to install new end links, I had done the bushings a few months before, and then I was able to renew my license plates.

Go buy new sway bar bushings and new end links and install them. DO NOT drive the XJ until you do have the sway back back in place. You may go years without a problem but you never know when a deer or a kid will run in front of you and you will have to take an evasive maneuver. Without the say bar you may end up rolling your XJ and killing yourself. Hate to see that happen, also when your family tried to get money from JEEP the lawyers will tell them "he was stupid and removed the sway bar, it 100% his fault." If not for your sake, then for your family reistall the sway bar.

Front is being discussed here. The rear one is optional from the factory, which should be a clue as to its usefulness.

Anyone know where to get end links.
I had one break off and have been sans-swaybar for a month now.
Not my ideal way to take the kids to school.
TIA.

Ok, my guess would be if you have a rear and you remove the front you
should also remove the rear.

bgcntry72 said:
Anyone know where to get end links.
I had one break off and have been sans-swaybar for a month now.
Not my ideal way to take the kids to school.
TIA.

I have a set from my wife's '01 you can have. I'm surprised you don't have disco's on your XJ.

gjxj said:
Ok, my guess would be if you have a rear and you remove the front you
should also remove the rear.

The SOP (standard operating procedure) is to remove the rear stabilizer bar entirely, and keep the front with a set of disconnects. The debate going on here is whether it is safe to remove the front entirely as well. IMHO, it is better to have it than not. Less than $100 for a pair of disconnects seems like good insurance to me for any street driven XJ.

Lawn Cher' said:
Front is being discussed here. The rear one is optional from the factory, which should be a clue as to its usefulness.
Minor technical correction, Mark. The rear sway bar was never optional on the XJ. There was never a place on the order form to check off if you wanted to pay extra to get a rear bar, nor was there ever a "delete option" you could check off to tell the factory you didn't want it even though it normally came on your model.

In the more recent model years, the factory omitted the rear sway bar on XJs built at the factory with the optional Up Country suspension package, but the Up Country package included higher rate rear springs which compensated for the roll resistence the rear bar would otherwise have generated. Not including the sway bar in an optional suspension package designed to work without it is very different from the bar being "optional," which would mean that no XJ got one unless the person placing the order paid extra to get it.

Back