• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

A snow driving ?

jeepme

NAXJA Forum User
NAXJA Member
Ok I kinda high jacked another thread and asked this so I will start my own thread. I have a new aussie locker in the front and an ARB in the rear( I know its backwords). So my question is with a 231 case if I am driving on a snowy/ icey road in 4wd with only the front locked what can I expect as far as handling and such. I know I should just go out and try it but was hoping someone that has this set up can tell me what to expect before I drive into a tree.

Thanks

With the front locked you should expect that on slippery curves the front end is going to want to "push" to the outside of the curve. With that combo, you very definitely will want to keep your speed under control.

jeepme said:
Ok I kinda high jacked another thread and asked this so I will start my own thread. I have a new aussie locker in the front and an ARB in the rear( I know its backwords). So my question is with a 231 case if I am driving on a snowy/ icey road in 4wd with only the front locked what can I expect as far as handling and such. I know I should just go out and try it but was hoping someone that has this set up can tell me what to expect before I drive into a tree.

Thanks

Let's set up a snow run in the high Sierras and see. :laugh3: You really have to watch that you stay in 2 wd until you start wheeling on the trail. Icy roads can be very scary with the front locked. You did good on the Con when I went with you, but snow as you know, is a totally different arena.

does it have the same effect if the rear is locked? what is the preference for snow on the trails, locked or unlocked? went out yesterday in the snow and had a hard time on some logging trails with open diffs and 1/4 tread ATs. only 3" of snow too.

jjvande said:
does it have the same effect if the rear is locked? what is the preference for snow on the trails, locked or unlocked? went out yesterday in the snow and had a hard time on some logging trails with open diffs and 1/4 tread ATs. only 3" of snow too.
airing down will help just as much as lockers, and is much cheaper ;) of course you need some way to air back up before hitting the highway.

Back