• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Headliner repair

XJZ

NAXJA Forum User
Has anybody had any success repairing there headliner?

My is drooping in three corners and would like to attempt a fix rather than buy a new one. I'm taking it out, figured this would be the only way it could be done.

For those who've had luck, what did you use for adhesive, etc.? Any one have any techniques that have worked well? Any thing else I should check for after it's pulled?

All input will be greatly appreciated! TIA!

XJZ,

Believe it or not a headliner repair is not that expensive. The problem with the headliner is the foam attched to the fabric breaks down, then there nothing holding up the cloth, and liner droops.

I fixed mine for 3-4 years by going to your local hardware store/home center and picked up the metal seam plate for a vinyl floor. I used the metal strip for butting two edges together not the one for a doorway transision to a wood floor. I cut them to length and used them as ribs to hold up the ceiling. I speaced them evenly like 18 to 24 inches so it looked factory.

I took it into a shop once to get a quote to fix the head liner and they asked me "are those strips factory?" I moved to a new town and everyone told me to use this one shop and for $156 I had a new headliner and viseors to match. They did not have my color available - 1988 cordivan - so I picked out a color that matched the vinyl part of my seats, looks factory.

You generally look for the headliner/interior places in the industrial or less desirable part of town. I had a quote for $250 so being in the bay are it may be more.

I have also seen kits on line for you to do it yourself, they sell you everything and give you instructions. The reality of head liners is when the drop the only way to "fix" them is to install new fabric, then 7 years later you will do it all over again.

Also where did you get your $20 hummer a gov't surplus auction?

Martin

You can also get headliner screws that will hold up your headliner.. probably a less desirable solution but it does keep the liner off your head. You can get them at an auto supply house like Auto Zone.. Package of 8 for $2.50.

Really simple to replace. Peeled the old one off after I removed it. Also took one layer of the headliner off to remove all the old glue and such. Was able to do this as my 84's was made of multiple layers of paper and fiberglass. Bought 3 yards of tan denim for $2 a yard at Wally World and used 3M 77 from the Hardware Dept., just over one cans worth. Trimmed to the edge and folded the front back over since there's no trim there on mine. Still sitting out right now as I'm installing a second interior light over the back seat and haven't gotten it from the yard yet. Also replaced the "well nuts" that hold down the roof rack. They had deteriated so much that the rubber was no longer on some of the nuts and the rack was lose.

I haven't done my Jeep yet, although it's going to need it soon.

I did one on a Bronco II, and used cordoroy fabric the same color as the seats. It looked great.

One tip: Use a light weight fabric. A heavier material (such as vinyl), will not stick and will fall down when it gets hot in the summer.

Don't use adhesive, I just used those split tail brass tacks you get in stationary supply stores, the kind that hold papers together.
Pulled my headliner, stripped of the old stuff, put on new 1/2 thick foam that I cut at an angle using an electric kitchen knife. Put the new material over and wrapped it around the back side of the liner. Then using a push drill I popped hole all the way around the perimeter, insterting a brass tack every ~4in or so, then I put a washer over the back of the split tails, bent em out then back in again. That way they won't pull thru and the washer reinforces the hole. I think a box of a hundred tacks cost me $1.50. I also put them across the headliner. In the case of my S10 I did a chevy bowtie pattern and some extra foam cut to shape that gave it a pleated look. Used urban camo for the material, cost maybe $3.00 and another $4.00 for the foam. You can also paint the brass heads. Much better than the $200 the dealer wanted for a new headliner.

Hey guys;

Thanks for all the ideas. Kejtar, the tech article was great. I have just a very small amount of fabric hanging down, and the 3M Headliner adhesive sounds perfect.

One more question. Are there clips along the front edge at the windshield? Everything is ready to come down but that edge. I'd rather not kink it.

TIA

Back