• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

H2O coming out of muffler

My 93 has water that seems to constantly drip out of the muffler. Everytime I start is a small spray of water comes out and it seems to continuously drip out while running. Its not a fast drip, but pretty steady. Any ideas what could be causing this? My 97 XJ does not do this. Could I have a bad seal somewhere? Thanks in advance.

K9Cop

it's condesation from the catalytic convertor. It could be running slightly rich due to a malfunctioning sensor, but condensation from catalytic convertors is a normal thing.

First things first, is it water or coolant. If it's water then it is condensation. When you shut the engine off for the day and it cools down it pulls in cooler air, when you startup from a cold engine the exhaust system warms up and condenses out the moisture, it collects in the low points of the system and gradually is pushed out by the hot exhaust gasses. This by the way is the major reason that exhaust systems rust from the inside out, a result of not getting the system hot enough to cook off all that water. Coolant is a different story, coolant can be from a cracked block, bad head gasket, etc.

there is a small hole in the back bottom of the muffler on some factory systems to let water drain out. see if yours is stoped up

Back