• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Ambient temperature sensor

gba88

NAXJA Forum User
Before I call the dealer with the # I found in an old thread (4688204AB), I just wanted to make sure that I had the right number & ask if there were any online alternatives to getting this sensor?

The thread I found the number in said that the sensor would be about $25, is that correct also? Thanks for any info :)

I learned the hard way to just call the dealer and ask for the component, do not feed them a part number. Once they find the PN then ask are they showing the number you found.

I had one dealer tell me the part for my seat belt buckle while visiting my folks, I called my dealer at home to order the part with the PN the dealer in mom's town told me. Long story short it was the wrong part. Let the dealer look up what you need, ONLY provide them a part number when you are doing mods and ask if the PN is a good one or not.

Just wanted to update my own thread in case anyone else out there is interested...

The correct part number *was* 4688204AB, and the current price is $16.60.

I was pretty happy to find out that the sensor was under $20! I figured it would be about $30 or so.

I finally got this sensor installed today! Now I have a question for anyone else with the OC & sensor installed: is there a *BETTER* place to mount the sensor than the factory location? Mine reads about 6° too hot, and after all the crap I went through installing the OC, getting the sensor from the dealer, and installing it (without removing the bumper...don't ask), I'd like it to at least be accurate if possible.

There must be a better location or better way to mount it to get a more accurate reading. So anyone have an idea? Please post if you can help :D

Why was it hard to mount without removing the bumper?

The wiring for it on my '90 is right in front of the radiator, and just above the bumper.

Actually you can mount the sensor anywhere you please. You would want to place it in a protected area however. I just did the OC and moved the sensor to the rear of the jeep, I wasn't happy with it there (it was accurate for the 2 days it was there though) It is in the stock location for now until I can find the ideal location for it.

90Pioneer said:
Why was it hard to mount without removing the bumper?

The wiring for it on my '90 is right in front of the radiator, and just above the bumper.

I had to reach my hand up inside the bumper and in front of the radiator support .........it was very tight, and would have been 100% easier if I had removed the grill piece first. I think the bumpers changed with the 97s (this was a 99) so maybe that accounts for the difference with your 90?

Back