• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

XJ wont start

Renklaf

NAXJA Forum User
When I try to turn the engine over nothing happens. I can get it started when i get someone to give me a jump but it wont maintain idle. I drove it for 30 min to get home. when I got home it maintained idle. So i turned it off and turned it back on and nothing happened. What could the problem be?
Its a 2000 Auto NP231. Also On my drive home I had to shift to neutral to keep the Rpms up during intersections and lights.

sounds like the battery might be bad. the alternator is pushing enough juice to keep it going at fast idle, but not enough poop in the battery to crank it over.

That would be my guess too. It's a good place to start at any rate. I've had a cell die without any kind of warning, so don't think that you can eliminate the battery just because it was OK the night/day before (or whatever). Good luck and let us know what you find!!
icon7.gif

88flexj said:
sounds like the battery might be bad. the alternator is pushing enough juice to keep it going at fast idle, but not enough poop in the battery to crank it over.

I second the battery as the problem. A bad ground can cause similar issues but it is rare.

Back