• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Posi problems

crazyoffroader

NAXJA Forum User
I've got an '88 with stock limited slip diffs in front and rear, but they don't act like LSD's. When going around corners the tires chirp and there is a LOT of road noise at 60mph. Has anyone had this problem, and how do you fix it?

Stock front and rear LSDs? What option package is that? If you haven't checked already i'd make sure you don't ahve something like powertrax-no slips or lockrites front and rear. It's just little odd for 'stock' front and rear lsd's to still be functioning on a 16 year old vehicle, but hey what do i know?

Mike

There was never a factory option for a front limited slip. In fact, the factory has always used Dana Trac-Loks, and I don't believe there is a Trac-Lok available for the Dana 30 front axle.

If the friction modifier lube additive has worn out in the rear, the clutches may grab and cause some ratcheting, or tire chirping. Head to a dealer, buy a bottle of friction modifier, and put that in. Of course, it would be better to change the diff lube at the same time, but at least do the modifier because if you don't, you risk wearing out the clutches.

Although I have to say that it sounds from your description that you may have lockers rather than a factory limited slip.

Pick it up and get the diff covers off, try to identify what you have. Someone may have modified it. If necessary take pictures of the diff and put them up here, I'm sure somone will be able to identify the make and brand...

I took the front and rear covers off to find that the rear looks a lot like the suregrip in my charger, but the front looks like someone took a MIG welder to the spider gears. Should I replace the front axle with a spare I have, or should I just leave it? I don't have a digital camera yet, so no pics.

crazyoffroader said:
I took the front and rear covers off to find that the rear looks a lot like the suregrip in my charger, but the front looks like someone took a MIG welder to the spider gears. Should I replace the front axle with a spare I have, or should I just leave it? I don't have a digital camera yet, so no pics.

So, ya got a lincoln locker in the front, not good for the street...

Back