• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Paint, Rattlecan, Herculiner.........??????

WHAT SHOULD I DOOO!!!!!!

• Pro Paint Job.....or....maacoo(anything from pro)

Votes: 4 11.4%
  • Rattle-can

Votes: 17 48.6%
  • Herculiner...

Votes: 11 31.4%
  • Sand it...primer it....hope for the best....

Votes: 3 8.6%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

jeepinairman

NAXJA Forum User
well i have done the search and noone seems to have tried to herculin the whole jeep...i was wondering if anyone has ever done this and how it held up???....my paint looks like crap on my rig and i just took all the crap off the roof with that bad-A$$ aircraft remover.....and primered it.....but i want to either paint it or rattle can it or herc it...but dont know which one

i called LINE-X today and they told me about $2000 to spray it....Rhino Liners said $4000..these people are insane.....and painting it is crazy expesive especially since i wheel it it is going to scratch...so i figured i would Herc it but people seem to say it fades....

keep in mind i in no WAY have a crap load of cash to spend.....until the military deciedes to gives us all a HUGE pay raise i am limited on funds....i just wanted some advice from some of your experiences....thanks ....for ...reading..this book...lol...

I read an article where someone had herculined their entire XJ.....had pics...didn't look bad and was no where near the prices you posted, if i can find it again i'll PM you. It seemed to holding up ok and was fairly easy to touchup.

You're AD? Can you get your hands on some of that Over Dirt Green? Just use that! That's what I'd use if I had a supply - that stuff's nearly indestructible and sticks over anything anyhow...

I'd probably either Rhino or Herc the inside, tho - I see too much "rock rash" on the outside to want to spend a lot of money on that (thus, the OD Green.)

5-90

Spray bomb it with olive drab. Touch-ups are only a Wal-Mart away, and it will accent your uniform nicely.

herculiner is very heavy. just something to think about. if you do heavy wheelin with your rig i would go for the primer, or just leave it.

I chose rattle can since there was not choice for brush painting. If you want, you can herculine it yourself with a roller. I just sanded and resprayed my rockers up to the rubber trim with undercoating. In the spring I am going to either brush paint it or spray bomb it grey. I looked at a old Land Rover military lightweight and the brush paint didn't look too bad. Hides minor scratches as well.

You should never leave a vehicle in bare primer, unless you want to watch it rust. Primer does not protect the body, it simple helps the protective layer of paint adhere to the steel.

Copperhead

yeah i was planning on painting this thing soon..i know its gettin cold here in the mighty kansas *yeah laugh...there ISNT alot of wheelin here...not like back home in kentucky...shew*

that OD stuff is harder to get ahold of than you think these days..haha..i have only seen it once and i have only been in 3 years though.....i am AD....that is good stuff though....paint anything stick to anything....

the prices i gave were from the PRO bedliner places ...i think i could do the whole jeep in herc but i hear its not uv protectant....

and yes probably the cheapest way to go would be spray can...i even thought about camoin it but i dont know that it woudl turn out right....

I found a place to purchase the liner on the web. It isn't the name brand stuff, but I couldn't tell the difference and it was around $40 a gallon IIRC. A sprayer to handle it can be bought for less than $20.

Most trail rigs don't last more than a couple of years with hard wheeling, so I can't see paying a ton to have it done. If you can do it yourself for $150 inside and out, then it becomes viable.

Grant on here did his Cherokee and the coating has held up better than the rig. It looks cool. He did the base in yellow and did the bottom in a black mountain outline motif. Its very distinctive.

are there pics of this mountian motif???..i would like to see what he did..

did he use the stuff you are talking about....what about fading???

No he used the expensive stuff, there was no fading to speak of after about 3 years. I will see if I can scrounge a pix. It was the rig on the front page of the ColoradoXJ forum for several years.

I second the thing about not just primering it. I have done body work for 40 years. The first thing you learn is that primer is porous so that the color coat has something to hold on to. That also means water can penetrate it and get to the metal. If anything, primer almost makes rust worse.

oh i remember seeing that.....i think i read somewhere he used durabak...its a lil much too......but i hear its good shyte though.....

i see the results of the poll..most people say either have it painted or so it with spray cans...hmm...only like 6 people did the poll though.....i just want to get this done..

your guys input is great though...

old_man said:
I found a place to purchase the liner on the web. It isn't the name brand stuff, but I couldn't tell the difference and it was around $40 a gallon IIRC. A sprayer to handle it can be bought for less than $20.

Most trail rigs don't last more than a couple of years with hard wheeling, so I can't see paying a ton to have it done. If you can do it yourself for $150 inside and out, then it becomes viable.

Grant on here did his Cherokee and the coating has held up better than the rig. It looks cool. He did the base in yellow and did the bottom in a black mountain outline motif. Its very distinctive.

can you get me a link to this page that has it for $40???...i would appreicate it muchly!>..thanks

have any of your tried to paint the exterior with that HIGH TEMP paint..i like the flat look of it and thought i could do the whole truck in it...thanks again

rattle cans are cheap, you can do an entire XJ under $75 total. Just paint the entire jeep (no taping/masking except headlights/taillights and wiper blades), then scrape the windows with a flat razor blade. Do like 6 light coats of paint and you wont see any drips if you use name brand like krylon no drip. I've done 3 vehicles, paint's held up great so far - 1yr plus. If you get trail scratches, they're easy to fix too! make sure you buy enough cans to do your jeep in all at once, I recommend 20 cans to start with, and one of those spray paint gun handles to give your finger a break. I didnt buy enough once and had to start over in another color once i found out the store no longer carried my color!

Theres a dodge ram at my work that has been bedlinered. Ya cannt tell from a distance away.It just looks like it was painted flat black. It looks alright...

Last edited:
I had to do some touch on my XJ, some bad rust spots, did not plan on having the whole vehicle painted at once, or professionally, so I went to "Wally World", a buck a can, came out better than I expected and certainly will hold up "til I have it painted in the spring.

ive always thought that cameleon paint would look real cool http://www.3dspline.com/Tutorials/Carpaint3/carpaint3.htm
cameleon2.jpg

comeon a rig that changes colors as you walk around it - how much cooler can it get?

BTW- this costs about $1500 a quart and an average car (sprayed) takes about 5 quarts...

XJ_ranger said:
ive always thought that cameleon paint would look real cool http://www.3dspline.com/Tutorials/Carpaint3/carpaint3.htm
cameleon2.jpg

comeon a rig that changes colors as you walk around it - how much cooler can it get?

BTW- this costs about $1500 a quart and an average car (sprayed) takes about 5 quarts...

yeah i saw a HUMVEE Painted wich cameleon once...looked SOOOOO SWEEET!!!!....BUT thats a bit pricey..i am leaning WAY towards the rattle can....but i am still wondering how well the high heat stuff would do cause its flat black and looks pretty cool.....anyone with experience with that stuff??????

I have my floor boards and rocker panels done on mine. It has been about 3years now and looks just as good as the first day. Super tuff and rugged. I am going to do the cargo area next. :thumbup:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back