• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Centering steering wheel...

Gjeep

NAXJA Forum User
I did a search and can't find a definate answer to this...

Does adjecting the draglink sleeve screw up the (toe) alignment? My steering wheel is tilted off center slightly and I've heard that centering the wheel via the sleeve screws up the alignment . Please advise. Thanks

No, doesn't change unless you leave the steering wheel locked. that's the key, make sure the wheel is not locked.

Yes, the drag link sleeve will adjust the steering wheel position. Put the truck on jack stands, remove the tie rod end from the pitman arm, loosen the drag link sleeve bolt (there are two, loosen the bolt opposite of the pitman side tie rod.) Next thread the sleeve on or off depending on the steering wheel situation. Torque everything down and your done.
Ben

d10shun said:
Yes, the drag link sleeve will adjust the steering wheel position. Put the truck on jack stands, remove the tie rod end from the pitman arm, loosen the drag link sleeve bolt (there are two, loosen the bolt opposite of the pitman side tie rod.) Next thread the sleeve on or off depending on the steering wheel situation. Torque everything down and your done.
Ben

Why on earth would you do it that way? The sleeve has R and L threads on the ends. Loosen the bolts and rotate the sleeve. There is no need to take out a tie rod end.

As for adjusting the sleeve messing with the toe. Yes, it does. It's a very small amount of change, but if you're moving the steering wheel a quarter turn, you'll probably throw off the toe by 1/8 inch.

Before I´d adjust anything, I´d have a close look at the trac bar. And/or try to figure out why it´s off center. There is a center over (true center) in the steering box. I always try and figure out if it´s the whole front that has shifted (trac bar), a bent steering part, steering wheel installed off center, before I start adjusting, maybe the wrong thing. Minor adjsutments past true center in the steering gear aren´t really noticeable, if it gets too far off, you´ll notice a hitch or hestation when turning, one direction or the other.

Back