• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Rear bumper

YETI

NAXJA Forum User
WHo makes the best for the $$$. Not looking for a tire carier. Thinking C-rok but wonder who else makes one. Does rigid have one. Please no recomendations for Durango or Tomken.

Thanks

Please leave a pics or link if you can.

Just ordered a Kennesaw Mtn. Price was great and build is stout. Impressed with the design, quality and dealings with company so far.

http://www.kenmtn.com/

Island XJ said:
the best for teh buck are made at home by you. i searched for "rear bumper" on this site a second ago and got 500 threads. maybe teh answer is in searching for it.

For the price of a BUYIT BUMPER, you could get a welder from Sears, and make one 10 times better. fit to you. your truck. add on a tire carrier for the price of metal, not hundreds more. I was looking at an ARB front a couple of years ago.. then saw one bend on a recovery.
I spent 250 on a welder and book, taught myself.
Since then I have built front, back, sliders, skidplates, welded the rearend, repaired broken seats, made money off my buddies..
You get the idea. All for less than the ARB would cost.
If you are into Wheeling and Jeeps. you should weld as well.
Besides - Mine don't bend if I drive into rocks or trees.

Ivan im with you. i got my kennesaw about a year ago and i cant tell you how happy i am with it. its burly and simple and the big D rings are like non other. this is a no BS bumper. mine has a tire carrier as well. Ive come down on it plenty of times and swung it side ways into rocks and trees but you would never know. plus you just cant beat the price and customer service. I got mine threw www.elias4wdcenter.com here in Ma. best value out there in my opinion.

I’m with Brian Carpenter, build it. I paid $60 for a stick welder and used the heck out of it. I finally stepped up to a wire feed for $135. You can’t touch a bumper for that kind of money. Don’t let the big companies fool you; there is very little material expense in bumpers. I built my rear bumper for the grand total of $52 including D loops and paint. It took a weekend to build it going nice and slow by myself. Pulling off the old bumper is the hardest part. I’ve lost track of all the things I’ve made/repaired on my Jeep. You make a lot of friends when you own a welder :D

Boy was I mistaken.

While the KM bumper looked great, research on another site or three made me NOT want to deal with them. I'd almost sent him money just before finding many dissatisfied stories of dealings with KM.

Custom 4x4 here I come!

sorry to here that Ivan. might wanna call them and tell them how you feel. And that your nervouse about doing business without a garantee of customer satisfaction. My transaction went perfect and they were very friendly and even changed some things for me that i didnt like about there design such as i like my spare tire directly in the middle instead of off to one side. anyways weather its custom 4x4 or Km im sure youl be happy with either.

i like my 4 real steel bumper, made by daystar. if you wanted a tire carrier, then i probably wouldn't reccommend this rear bumper. but, since ur not, its a good bumper, with high clearance, not square like so it won't dent. it mounts in the stock location, plus if i remember... 8 more bolts in 4 other locations

brandon

mmmkay325 said:
what is a good welder for doin' bumpers...mig,tig arch? And is 110 good enough??
If you do a search on Welders you’ll see that this topic has been discussed extensively. Here are the basics:
1. 110v will work fine, I’ve built 1 and my buddy has built 5 using 110v welders. 220v is always better, but not necessary. BTW if you have 110v in your garage it is pretty simple to wire it for 220v.
2. Bumpers can be built with a stick welder. Its slow going, but the welders are extremely cheap (under $100). Wire feed welders are a definite step up and not that expensive. They are very easy to learn on and the preferred way to do just about anything. MIG is overkill in both price and performance. It will do a nice job, but its a lot more money than you are going to want to pay. BTW some wire feed welders are upgradeable to MIG with a kit, usually about $100. TIG is way too much for a bumper. The equipment is extremely expensive and you really need to know what you are doing. In short; stay away from it.
3. The amount of amps you need is dependant on how thick of metal you want to weld and if you want it done in one pass or more. The way stick and wire feed/MIG welders are rated are NOT the same. My 100 amp stick will burn two ¼” pieces of plate steel together with one pass on each side of the joint (2 passes total). My 80-amp wire feed will do it in a single pass. BTW ¼” plate is some thick stuff for a bumper. You’ll probably want to use some thing closer to 1/8”, unless you don’t mind having a couple of hundred extra pounds hanging off of the end of your Cherokee :doh: When the advertisement says a welder will do a certain thickness of metal, its pretty subjective. How thick of metal you can burn is dependant on the number of amps (more is better), the condition of the metal (more rust/paint=more amps needed), the fit of the joint (tighter fit/less gaps=less amps needed) and how much penetration you want (more penetration=more amps).

If I were buying a welder just to do a bumper and maybe a couple of other pet projects I’d use something like this:
http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/Displayitem.taf?itemnumber=44567

If you have 220v this would be better:
http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/Displayitem.taf?itemnumber=55250

If you shop around a bit you can find wire feed or MIG welders at pretty reasonable prices. If you think you might like welding, plan on using it a lot, have some serious heavy-duty stuff in mind, or some extra cash by all means upgrade to a nice Lincoln, Miller or Hobart. But it’s not necessary to built a nice looking, functional bumper. After you get done building the bumper you will still have the welder around to do all sorts of other fun stuff :D

I like mine

custom_02_t.jpg

Bought it off CagedXJ

I'd like to build my own rear bumper complete with a 2" hitch receiver and a spare tire carrier, but I'm not sure where to start. I don't want to make the thing too heavy, but I want to make sure that I can pull my jeep out of the mud by the rear bumper and not have it torn off. I'm also not sure where to start when it comes to building a spare tire carrier on a bumper that won't sag with age and will easily hold a 35" tire.

If anyone knows of plans or drawings I'd sure like to know where to find them.

Robert

Back