• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Quick Overhead Console Question

1FastMX-3

NAXJA Forum User
I'll apologize in advance for the long post, I just figure I'll post as much info as possible so people doing a search in the future will have something to look back on....

I'm putting this into a 93 xj, and it's out of a 91-96 xj. I've got 2 plugs on the console itself. 1 13-pin, the other is an 8 pin (located at the back lights) The 13-pin is as follows

1- Blank
2- Dark Green/Black
3- Blank
4- Black
5- Pink
6- Pink
7- Orange/Black
8- Blue/Orange
9- Blank
10- Violet/Green
11- Black/Blue
12- Yellow
13- White/Black

Then the 8 pin, with it unplugged and looking straight at it, with the little bump on the right side....

1- Blank
2- Blue/Orange
3- Pink/Black
4- Pink
5- Blank
6- Pink
7- Orange/Black
8- Black

So what I did from here, is matched the colours on the console harness, so I combined the pink wires, the black wires, the orange/black wires, and the blue/orange wires.

I took the yellow (pin 12) and hooked it up to the black wire from the old overhead light connector. Took the white/black (pin 13) and put it to switched 12v. Took all the pink wires and put those to constant 12v. I then took my black wires, and the dark green/black wire (pin 2) and put those to ground. I took the Orange/Black wires (Pin 7 on both connectors) and connected those with the orange/black wire on the pannel dimmer. The violet/green (pin 10) and blue/black (pin 11) are for the temp sensor under the hood which I haven't picked up yet so I just taped them off for now. I know the blue/orange wires (pin 8 on the 13-pin, and pin 2 on the 8-pin) are for dimming the display when the headlights are on, but my multimeter just crapped out so I can't test which wire to hook into at the headlight switch to do this... (Anybody know??)

So after all that, I'm left with 1 wire (aside from the 2 wires that I can't hookup 'cause my multimeter's gone).... I've done all kinds of research before going out there to do this and never heard mention of this wire. There's a pink/black wire (pin 3 on the 8-pin connector) that follows down the a-pillar and out with the rest. It was originally plugged into a red connector at the bottom. I've got NO idea what this wire is for. Anybody who's done this got any clue?

Back