• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Incresed gas milage

RichP

NAXJA Forum User
Had to fix a front tire on friday, screw in the tread, so while it was inside in the shop I figured it was time for winter airup, been using a 12v to air back up all summer from off roading air downs so I bumped my BFG AT/KO's up to 40lbs with shop air and did a bunch of running around all weekend, almost 2 tanks of gas later I had gone from my normal average of ~19mpg to almost 22, seemed to handle better also. Checked the contact patch on all 4 corners and all looks good. So much for keeping them at ~35psi.... [actually they were closer to 25-30 when I started, got impatient a few times with that buzz compressor]. Made a big difference... guess even us old timers need a kick in the chops every now and then :D

What does the max. inflation pressure on the side of your tires say? I want to do this too, but my tires show 35 psi as the max. cold inflation pressure, so that's where they are now. I would like to go to 40, but don't know if that would be a good idea.

RichP said:
Had to fix a front tire on friday, screw in the tread, so while it was inside in the shop I figured it was time for winter airup, been using a 12v to air back up all summer from off roading air downs so I bumped my BFG AT/KO's up to 40lbs with shop air and did a bunch of running around all weekend, almost 2 tanks of gas later I had gone from my normal average of ~19mpg to almost 22, seemed to handle better also. Checked the contact patch on all 4 corners and all looks good. So much for keeping them at ~35psi.... [actually they were closer to 25-30 when I started, got impatient a few times with that buzz compressor]. Made a big difference... guess even us old timers need a kick in the chops every now and then :D
Did you? Are you sure??? Did you take into account the diameter change with the pressure change? I know there is other factors to take into account, but I wonder what impact that had on the diameter of the tire and as an end result on circumference/distance traveled on each revolution. Lastly don't you guys use some different winter gas up there?

Kejtar said:
Did you? Are you sure??? Did you take into account the diameter change with the pressure change?

I doubt going from under inflated to correctly inflated made enough of a difference size wise to count for most of that. Under inflation is listed as one of the biggest mpg killers by tire makers.

Sarge

Max cold inflation on the sidewall says 50lbs cold, I'm 10 under that. WIll see what happens over the next few weeks. As for the winter fuel I think thats been out and about since sep30th or so. No effect on any of our vehicles yet... The winter fuel according to the propaganda is 'oxygenated'.... I guess they must throw politicians in the storage tanks so they can blow hot air into the stuff as it arrives from the terminal :D

Last edited:
While increased tire pressure reduces rolling resistant and thus helps gas mileage, you need to balance that against the possibility of worse ride and handling and definately reduced tire wear lifetime. The middle of the tires will wear out faster than the edges. Pick your poison.

The middle of the tires will ONLY wear out first if you over-inflate your tires. Correctly inflated tires will wear evenly and get good mileage. Over-inflated tires will actually get better mileage but the tire will wear faster and heat will build faster/higher as well.

Sarge

Is there an echo :laugh:

I would say the BFG KOs are truck rated = more plys, higher inflations for increased load capacity. Should not be a problem if you don't mind your
teeth rattling from all the bumps.

Back