• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

welding a 35

MJ1990buildup

NAXJA Forum User
hey, i want to weld my spider gears together on my 35 and drive it until it blows up, going to put an 8.8 in the back

but i figure what the hell, mightas well have fun until it breaks

its a 1990 so i think its c clip

does anybody have any pics that could help me out here

i'm an engine guy, dont know crap about gears other than i need 4.88's, and how to change my fluid

theres three ways of doing it (from what i know)

1.weld the spider gears to the carrier
2. bend a piece of 1/4" steel going across the spider gears and weld into place
3. take spider gears out weld in every other groover about 1/8" thick and put it back

i did the 3rd method on my dana30 and its held up well and the best thing is that if i ever want to replace it i can just yank the spider gears only since thats all thats welded

why would anyone weld gears when you can buy a spool for $89 and that does the same thing, and you can take it out when ever you want...

as someone else said - weld the shit outta da spider gears

um as far as i know there isnt a company that makes a spool for a 35. prolly cause they know it WILL blow sooner than later with anything over stock size tires, ive been contemplating doing it to mine for a while now, but since its my DD i keep putting it off.

kolby

Island XJ welded the gears in his 35 diff last summer and then we headed straight to a favorite trail. It grenaded about 20 mins later, before we even got to the trail. Fun while it lasted!
B.

Beej said:
Island XJ welded the gears in his 35 diff last summer and then we headed straight to a favorite trail. It grenaded about 20 mins later, before we even got to the trail. Fun while it lasted!
B.
Thass right, altho I figured it would at least do one trail! Thanks for the tow back beej.

Was that 20 minutes after the weld? In a case like that shouldn't you let the weld go a couple of hours or so? The teeth would be softer when heated.

sarge

Beej said:
B.

what size tires were you running,
i'm only running 31's
its gonna be snowing here soon so i figured what the hell

anyone have any good pics or links of the inside of the 35 and what to weld?

MJ1990buildup said:
what size tires were you running
stock tires with no lift. it was a 94.
i had planned to build it up for someone else, and they did not want the d35. I welded the gears just to see how it would perform and for how long. i did not plan to keep it that way, or even keep the axle. it was just for fun. and it was damn short-lived fun at that. we didn't even make it to the trailhead. i gunned it to pass Beej's slow ass on the highway and kaboom. go for it if you want, but the d35's made of tin foil, krazy glue and dog poop and just won't hold up to a welded diff. it blasted the internals into shards of metal and snapped the driver axle shaft. we towed it home, beej paid for the tow truck!

XJ_ranger said:
why would anyone weld gears when you can buy a spool for $89 and that does the same thing, and you can take it out when ever you want...

as someone else said - weld the shit outta da spider gears

Why would you pay $89 when you could weld it for free?

Id only weld the spider gears to them selves and to the carrier.
Slide the axle shafts into the carrier to help dissipate heat and preven splatter on the splines. pre heat the carrier, and only sport weld dont get it too hot, take your time.

I use tinfoil to protect the ring gear and bearings when welding.

Not d35 pictured...
download.php

Not a great picture. but welded to the carrier and spider gears.
download.php

I welded mine after pulling the ring gear off. that way you don't need to worry about weakening it.
Tinfoil works better to protect the splines.. axles in there might get welded too if you get carried away.. hate to try and get that one back in the housing. :repair:

I welded mine 2 years ago, run "33s and do hard-core trails. I break pre 97 axles on my d-30 like its cool, but the 35-c has been a solid component all along.

Brian Carpenter said:
I welded mine after pulling the ring gear off. that way you don't need to worry about weakening it.
Tinfoil works better to protect the splines.. axles in there might get welded too if you get carried away.. hate to try and get that one back in the housing. :repair:

I welded mine 2 years ago, run "33s and do hard-core trails. I break pre 97 axles on my d-30 like its cool, but the 35-c has been a solid component all along.

wow, i hope mine would just last me through the winter

i'd really like to do this with everything still inside of the diff

would you guys reccomend cleaning the gears first maybee with some break cleaner or somehting along those line

tin foil to cover up your r and p
wouldnt that just get burned right through if you were welding

also, will the weld be strong enough with a flux mig?
or should i get a freind to do it with his arc welder

I welded the d35 on my 88xj, running 33 12.5 thornterds. I ran all of tellico(the axle held up but the tires dont work worth a shit) with a moderate right foot and didnt have any problems like i expected to. Mine was the non c-clip type, and all i did was take the carrier out (with the ring gear still attached), cleaned it, and welded the spider gears together and to the housing using a miller 175 gas mig. I dont know that i would trust a flux core welder because you will have to deal with the slap. You will want to take the carrier out and weld both sides because it will simplify the process of welding 10 fold. It takes about an hour and a half for it to cool. I know that every case is different but I had absolutely no problems. The only reason that im not running that axle any more is because i swapped in full width ford axles. And about the spool idea, that would work the exact same way but welding the gears is free.

Last edited:
MJ1990buildup said:
its gonna be snowing here soon so i figured what the hell
the only reasont that i havent gotten my detroit yet is because of the snow. welding would be crazy on snow... drift city!

read about how lockers and spools make it hard to drive in the snow and then think about welding... YIKES :conceited

i know what your saying, yes the roads do get slick here, but most of the time we are talking about 2ft+ of snow we will be driving through

gonna need all the traction i can get

they dont call it Frostburg for nothing!

but if it breaks mid winter, do you have something else to drive or to replace it with.

yes, my friend has an 8.8 with 3.55's in it right now and i'm on the hunt for one with 4.11's in it as long as a good d30 with 4.10's

anyone else have any good pics of their spider gears welded to their carrier?

Back