• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

torquing down front axle shafts

Kejtar

PostMaster General
NAXJA Member
OK, how do you guys do it? My torque wrench only goes to 150 while the nuts should be torqued at 175. Do you guys worry about it? Or torque the hell out of it? or what?

I wouldn't go a quarter turn past 150 ft./lbs, I suspect you'll get a lot more torque than you think. Still, I don't think you'll get too much torque with a standard half inch breaker bar. Use the torque wrench to get a feel for where 150 is, and use the breaker bar to go a little farther.

BTW, do *NOT* overload the torque wrench or use it for breaking fasteners loose.

ChiXJeff said:
Still, I don't think you'll get too much torque with a standard half inch breaker bar.
You haven't seen my breaker bar... it's abotu 3ft long :)
I wouldn't go a quarter turn past 150 ft./lbs, I suspect you'll get a lot more torque than you think
more or less that's what I did.

Thanks guys.
P.S. Why doesn't harbor freight sell an inexpensive torque wrench that goes up to 200??

There is another way to torque the nut to spec:

Use a breaker bar, and STAND on the bar in the appropriate location when the bar is PARALLEL TO THE GROUND.

For example--Let's say you weigh 200 lbs., and you need to tighten the nut to 150 ft-lbs. If you put a tape mark on the breaker bar according to the following calculation:

150*12/200=9

Place the tape mark on the bar at 9 inches from the CENTER of the socket, and place the bar EXACTLY horizontal. STAND (as in put ALL your weight) on the bar directly on the tape mark. 200 lbs at nine inches from the nut equates to 150 ft-lbs.

AZ Jeff said:
There is another way to torque the nut to spec:

Use a breaker bar, and STAND on the bar in the appropriate location when the bar is PARALLEL TO THE GROUND.

For example--Let's say you weigh 200 lbs., and you need to tighten the nut to 150 ft-lbs. If you put a tape mark on the breaker bar according to the following calculation:

150*12/200=9

Place the tape mark on the bar at 9 inches from the CENTER of the socket, and place the bar EXACTLY horizontal. STAND (as in put ALL your weight) on the bar directly on the tape mark. 200 lbs at nine inches from the nut equates to 150 ft-lbs.
Damn... why didn't I think of that :D That's perfect..... I got a breaker bar long enough that will let me take my ~150 lbs and torque them down :D

Back