• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

XJ leaking water into the interior....

JeepNaked99

NAXJA Forum User
Okay I have a 99 XJ and I have a problem with water leaking into the interior but only on the passenger side front. It gets the carpet wet and its starting to mildew pretty bad. I pulled the carpet up and I found a bunch of small holes on the weld just in front of the passenger seat. I siliconed the hell out of it but its still leaking! I'm possitive its not the a/c or the heater that is leaking. I'm going to replace the door seal soon. As far as I can tell the only place its coming in is those pesky holes! I was wondering if rhinolining or duralining the interior floor would be a good idea to fix this problem??? Thanks in advance.

JeepNaked99 said:
Okay I have a 99 XJ and I have a problem with water leaking into the interior but only on the passenger side front. It gets the carpet wet and its starting to mildew pretty bad. I pulled the carpet up and I found a bunch of small holes on the weld just in front of the passenger seat. I siliconed the hell out of it but its still leaking! I'm possitive its not the a/c or the heater that is leaking. I'm going to replace the door seal soon. As far as I can tell the only place its coming in is those pesky holes! I was wondering if rhinolining or duralining the interior floor would be a good idea to fix this problem??? Thanks in advance.

It may not be the floor...it might very well be a windshield problem. I had that same problem with my 98. I couldn't figure out where the interior puddles were coming from and I had an annoying spot where air was leaking through the top of my windshield at high speeds. I took it a glass center...they pulled my headliner back a little and apparently the windshield caulking was bad. The guy re-sealed the hole (no cost!!) and I've never had a problem since. No water and no annoying highway noise (well, except for a squeaky-ass spare tire!!)

My advice would be to take it to a glass repair center in your area and have them look at it. You might be just as lucky as I was.

Good luck and let me know how it turns out!

Jeremy :guitar:

I would go with the A/C unit. I had the same problem with my ZJ and I needed my A/C condensate hose cleaned out and a new evaperator.

I also vote window. My 97 had this problem a few years ago. It started happening around the same time that our rainy season started. Funny thing is, I had gone offroading a week before and traversed some mighty puddles (washed over the hood) so I thought it had leaked in a door seal or somewhere in the firewall or from the floor, like you think. I searched everywhere in that area for months looking for how it kept puddling up. It continued to collect water all winter and didn't let up until spring. I replaced the windshield on a different matter in the summer and it has never happened since, despite traversing those same puddles year after year. Check your window.
B.

Okay everyone votes window so I'll have that checked out.....thanks guys....I'll try the door seals too just for good measure.....thanks again.

Back