• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Broken wheel stud!

I broke 6 wheel studs on my XJ today! :mad: Must have been from sitting too long with out taking wheels off. I called my local CRAPA shop and was floored by the prices $5.50 a piece for wheel studs! Does anyone know where I can order longer studs for the XJ so my lug nuts aren't rusting the 1/2 of the threads up. I'm looking for maybe 1/2 in longer than the stockers for a Dana 30 & 35.

I don't understand the reasoning behind the longer studs. Can you enlighten me. Autozone sells replacement studs. I think I paid between $1-$2 each.

Just for your info your threads are 1/2"-20

Studs break from two things. Either they have been way overtightened or they are loose and you drive on them. Sitting won't cause the problem. They might rust to where you can't get them off, but I've never seen or heard of them breaking due to rust.

I just reread your post. Are you saying when trying to remove them, you twisted off the studs?

old_man said:
I don't understand the reasoning behind the longer studs. Can you enlighten me. Autozone sells replacement studs. I think I paid between $1-$2 each.

Just for your info your threads are 1/2"-20

Studs break from two things. Either they have been way overtightened or they are loose and you drive on them. Sitting won't cause the problem. They might rust to where you can't get them off, but I've never seen or heard of them breaking due to rust.

I just reread your post. Are you saying when trying to remove them, you twisted off the studs?
I broke 3 taking off, 2 putting back on and I don't know about the last one it broke as I was just putting the impact on it must have had a crack because both pieces had rust on it. I am running MSW aftermarket wheels and the wheel hub area is thicker than the stock steelies. I must have stretched the studs over the 13 years of owning the XJ. When you look at the tightened lugnuts on the wheel you can see that there is about 1/2 inch of threads showing on the lugnuts.

Impact...
rolleye.gif
Don't do that...

Use the impact gun to remove the lugs only. Using it to power the lugs back on is just asking for trouble (I've learned the hard way, trust me). Just use a regular lug wrench to put the lugs back on.

Actually, it's better to use a torque wrench to reinstall, because (a) then you know what you've got, and (b) if all the nuts are torqued the same there's somewhat less chance that the front rotors will warp within the first five miles you drive.

Remember that specified torques for fasteners are for clean, dry threads. If you oil them or use anti-sieze, reduce the torque value by 20% to 25%.

I had to replace a wheel stud a week or so ago. A buddy of mine who owns his own shop (brake place) said to get OEM wheel studs as they are better quality.

Went to the Jeep Dealer and they had none in stock...couldn't believe it.

A couple of months ago they didn't have a rear main seal in stock either.

I guess they just find it cheaper to order things in and not stock them.

Back