• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

4.0 h.o swap question please help

88flexj

NAXJA Forum User
I have an 88 xj with the 4.0 and the aw4. I am swapping in a h.o. motor from a 91 Briarwood xj. will my intake, and exhaust manifolds fit the h.o. head? i want to use my manifolds for ease of the swap, and California smog sniffers. the h.o does not have the e.g.r. valve ect. I am new to this site and will probably have many more questions. Any info would be great. thanks.

I suggest that you do a search, but the short version is "not easily."

Chrysler redesigned the engine slightly for 1991, whan they started calling it "High Output," or HO. One of the changes was to raise the ports in the head. If you dig deep, both on NAXJA and on the Strokers engine discussion group at Yahoo groups, you'll find that it can be made to work by relocating the mating pins or by redrilling the holwes to allow the manifold to mate up with the HO head. Even then, however, the posts will line up but they aren't shaped the same so it's a big questionable whether this is a great idea.

umm well it worked just fine on mine, i reused the renix (pre-91) intake, exhast, accessorys, oil pan(ho had weird sensor so i reused the old one), and all the renix wiring, and sensors. pretty much only used the ho head, block, and internals. be sure to reuse the renix flexplate when u do the swap, the ho is differnt.

kolby

thanks for the replies. using the old manifolds will make my job a whole lot easier. i compared the intake-exhaust gaskets and they are the same. it should be fine. i know i am sacrificing some of the horsepower gains, but it will be smog legal, and reliable.

Back