• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Ball Joints

FatXJ

NAXJA Forum User
I need new ball joints they are shot...I guess after 193,000 miles they should be. Anyway I was looking for a set when a guy told me they are the same between the Dana44 and the Dana30. Is this true?

I have never changed balljoints before but they are the same side as the Ujoint I have to change to it's going to be a good time to change them anyway.

Dunno what book he's looking in. The XJ never came with a Dana 44 front axle, so he shouldn't even be seeing that axle as an option. However, the Dana 44 front axle used in some TJs uses the same knuckles and axle shafts as the Dana 30, so the ball joints likely would be the same.

Minor correction -- Venezualan XJs had Dana 44 front axles, but "domestic" ones did not. And the Venezualan ones are apparently only in Venezuala. The XJs I saw in Chile had Dana 30s in front.

he didn't know what I drove but I told him I had a dana 30 and he said that dana 44 ball joints would work. I wasn't sure if they were the same design or not. I also wasn't sure if I needed a certain year of Dana 44 or not.

The reason I asking is that I know a lot of people with D44's and they have lots of spare (new) parts laying around which is better than what I have found locally for over $100 per side.

He was probably thinking of CJ dana 30s and the like. these axles use the same knuckles as most Dana 44s (with the exception of the Rubicon D44, which isn't completely a D44)

Back