• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Balanced Flywheel?

85Chief

NAXJA Forum User
I'm doing the 2.8->3.4 swap in my 85 cherokee, and I took my flywheel to the machine shop to get balanced etc. Well they called a few days later and said that it wouldn't be worth balancing because the plate is so warped and such. So I had to get a new one. I asked if it was balanced like I had asked my old one to be, and they said yes. I'm still not convinced because there is still a weight, but there are holes to make up for it.
My question: If you can tell, do you think this is balanced?
http://www.frontiernet.net/~bofcville/flywheel.JPG

Thanks a lot.
85Chief

If I recall right,thats a counter-balanced assembly.The flex plate itself cannot be balanced!You have to balance it together with the crankshaft.If you look at your pic you will realize that the holes make that side lighter and the side with the weight is heavier!

RCP Phx said:
If I recall right,thats a counter-balanced assembly.The flex plate itself cannot be balanced!You have to balance it together with the crankshaft.If you look at your pic you will realize that the holes make that side lighter and the side with the weight is heavier!

In this case this is not true, because he is having it neutrally balanced. i.e. "unbalanced". Think of it like balancing a tire.

Chief- Where'd you have the work done? Did the machine shop get you the flexplate or did you purchase it elsewhere? From the pic, it does look like they drilled out the counter weight, so I would expect they did balance it. But when they did mine they had to drill a portion and then add a weight to another spot. I would expect every case is probably different.

Back