• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Lift for the motor

Sero

NAXJA Forum User
Anybody have any expierence with MORE motor mounts that raise the engine 1", or have modified the stock one to do the same. Are there any issues with this?
I've fabricated a 3/4" TC drop kit, but I don't like the idea of the reduced clearance that this creates, and I don't have the dough to spend on a SYE + driveshaft. It would be nice to acheive the same output shaft angle without lowering the back of the drivetrain.

The time and effort isn't a big deal, it's just the money thing.

Motor mount lifts are one thing if you've got a Wrangler with a body lift, but think about where the engine is going with a 1" lift on a Cherokee...right into the hood. The mechanical fan would be off-center by an inch as well since the radiator can't be lifted. I'd say it's time to work out the angles on your rear driveshaft using shims and saving up for that SYE

I run the MORE motor mounts for a XJ. I didn't know that they had ones that lift the engine an inch, but clearance would get pretty tight. The last thing I have to say is that the MORE mounts are truly bullet proof but that comes with a drawback. They also transmit quite a bit more vibration into the body. Road noise is a lot more noticeable. I run them because I have a stroker and the stock ones simply would not hold up. The MORE ones have lasted almost 2 years with no end in sight. Good product for the right application.

Yucca-Man said:
Motor mount lifts are one thing if you've got a Wrangler with a body lift, but think about where the engine is going with a 1" lift on a Cherokee...right into the hood. The mechanical fan would be off-center by an inch as well since the radiator can't be lifted. I'd say it's time to work out the angles on your rear driveshaft using shims and saving up for that SYE

Well obviously the hood is above the engine and I've looked at the fan and shroud already and there's at least an inch of clearance on both spots. The closest the engine gets to the hood is at the intake tube above the throttle body and if I have to, I can trim some hood insulation there, as for the fan and shroud I have an electric one just waiting to be installed.

I'm actually only planning to go 3/4 of an inch, so I don't see there being any clearance problems.

Obviously U-joint angles are the problem and reducing these will prevent u-joint failure/breakage and vibration problems.

I'm just curious if there are any other problems with this idea. Maybe I should try a YJ/TJ forum where this type of thing is more common, or maybe talk to MORE themselves.

Thanks

So, let me get this straight.... youre dropping the tcase, and now you want to raise the engine? ...
for all the issues that this will create as far as the mounting locations being nearly 2" different overall, im assuming youre just trying to cure some driveline vibrations? i commend you for thinking outside of the box, but why dont you just get a real SYE and shaft and be done with it, with no clearance issues under the hood, better ground clearance at the X-member, and no fawked up driveline angles?
-Bennett

The transfer case drop fixed all vibrations, I'd like to put it back to stock or maybe only 1/4 inch (if needed) to regain clearance and then raise the eng 3/4". Basically raise the eng and no TC drop. This will achieve the same output shaft angle without reducing centre chassis clearance that the TC drop creates.

As for SYE....I'm too cheap, and why spend the money if I don't need to.

Two other things to consider!You could get Rusty's crossmember to acheive the same thing for about the same cost!Also raising the motor could cause binding of the front driveshaft due to much worse angles/height!Remember the front output shaft points up @4-5*.

Back