• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Rear Hatch Rattle

BillO1s

NAXJA Forum User
After fixing a case of DW (Thanks Eagle) and getting a nice set of quiet KOs, the loudest noise in the Jeep is a rattle coming out of the rear hatch area. I thought there was a common problem back there, but couldn't find anything when I did a search. Anyone have any ideas?

Thanks,
Bill:confused:

Check all the little trim screws and tighten them down. If that doesn't do it, crawl back there while somebody drives down the road. Only other things that I can think of would be the spare tire, overhead sound bar or the hatch itself.

check latch this just happened to me and the latch screws were all loose. PS they are torx screws. John

Rattle

There are some little rubber stops between the body and door. They might need some adjustment. Also look at your latch. They often work loose and you have to epoxy the holes back to size.

latch rattle

I have the same prob on my 89 cherokee. My problem comes from the vibration of a pair of subs in the back; however, and not just daily driving. My rattling came from the upper part of the interior plastic near the window. It seems that there is nothing sealing the plastic to that part of the hatch. I just stuck some soft rubber washers down in between (temporary fix)-God you guys are all gonna make fun of me, BUT the rattling stopped (thank god). ANYWAYS I am only putting this on here, because you may want to look in that area for your trouble. Let me know if you can think of another fix for that area!

:anon:

I had a lot of vibration noise from the back hatch also, turns out that a lot of those little plastic fasteners were broken. Quick and easy fix was to use some black drywall screws. Screwed them right through the carpet and plastic and into the hatch it self-No more vibs.

No Kidding!! My rear seat sqeaks like crazy! Only way to fix it is get a rear seat passenger, anyone have ideas on this one?

hahaha

Yeah, my fix for the squeaky back seat is for my big heavy bookbag to be fastened in when school is in session. Now that school is out for the summer (Yaaaaaaah!) I simply crank up the tunes. Sometimes when I fidget with it, it stays quite until I hit a few nasty bumps.

For rear seat squeak, there are two areas to check first. Make sure the pivots on the back are lubed, and not too rusty. A little heavy grease helps there. Then check the upper latches. If the rubber pads are worn, you can sometimes get a little reprieve by opening them up and swapping them around or shimming them out a little. You might also just try putting a piece of plastic bag or something over the pin and closing it into the latch. Grease isn't very good here, because it gets on stuff. but if you can make the whole thing tighter, it helps.

Also check if the seat back itself is bent. It's pretty flimsy. If it's bowed in the middle you might want to take it out and stomp on it or something.

I'm going to try the plastic bag thing as 99% of the time I'm the only person in the vehicle. I thought about leaving it down all the time but whenever I do that --- well someone needs a ride!
BTW xjennyj I'm a teacher (no homework in my class) and I don't bring work home so no book bag. The subs are in my wife's van, I'm w/o bass until my next jeep in about a year!:(

noises...

Awww, darn. I wish I had you for a professor. My jeep bookbag is loaded on any day of the week when I have class. I am a commuter, so I carry most of my stuff in my bookbag to save me from walking all the way back to my jeep.

I really enjoy chatting with everyone!

You really don't want to be on my roster! I'm a Special Ed. teacher Middle school kids who are Emotionally impaired. They spit, throw chairs, call your mother names, all before breakfast! You are welcome to visit though!

If I remember right, my fix for the back seat was a little electrical tape over the pin. It drove me nuts when we bought it used with 90K. It hasn't squeaked since (170k now). Of course for the last 6 yrs its had a car seat or two back there! Thanks for the rattle tips, I'll let you know what I find.

Bill

Back