• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

making small ujoints big.

BUCKYXJ

NAXJA Forum User
Well tomorrow I am gonna grind out my old shafts to fit the bigger ujoints. anyone have any specs. on the two ujoints?
Also anyone done this?

BUCKYXJ said:
Well tomorrow I am gonna grind out my old shafts to fit the bigger ujoints. anyone have any specs. on the two ujoints?
Also anyone done this?
It will be tomorrow morning before I can get the measurements, but it's gonna be hard to grind anything that precicely.

Why don't you send them to arrive Thursday next week and I'll machine them out for you and you can come pick them up on Friday.

Id just like to know what the h@ll your refering too!Are we talking driveshafts or axle-shafts?260's to 296's or like 1310 to 1330's?Either way I dont think its possible with the size difference of each type axle/joint!

RCP Phx said:
Id just like to know what the h@ll your refering too!Are we talking driveshafts or axle-shafts?260's to 296's or like 1310 to 1330's?Either way I dont think its possible with the size difference of each type axle/joint!
You can't machine anything larger to change from 1310s to 1330s. The caps are already the same size. It's the cross on the 1330 that's larger. That's why I assumed he meant the axles.

The big problem if I remember right is that the distance across the trunion is different. In other words the ears need to be further apart.

Terry, since you have a machine shop, don't forget to take your front axles and mill the insides out a few thousandths and use full circle inner rings. It will strengthen your axles a ton. That way you don't have to tack weld your caps.

old_man said:
The big problem if I remember right is that the distance across the trunion is different. In other words the ears need to be further apart.

Terry, since you have a machine shop, don't forget to take your front axles and mill the insides out a few thousandths and use full circle inner rings. It will strengthen your axles a ton. That way you don't have to tack weld your caps.
I'll do just that, Tom. That is if I ever spit out one of my welded caps in the first place.

yes and these are the axle shafts I am talking about.
going from 260s to 297s and these will be welded in since I have a new case of spicer 5-760 ujoints. and I have about 4sets of spare front shafts with the smaller ujoints.

ok the cross in the same size but the caps on the 760s are a little less than 1/8" larger than the 260s

1 1/16" for 260s, 1 3/16 for the 297s.

So indeed, 1/8"

:cheers:

wouldn't it be a hellava lot easier to get some shafts from either a '95 YJ (disco) or a 95+ XJ (non disco)....

call me crazy...

Is the OD of the 260 yokes the same as the 297s?

BUCKYXJ said:
ok the cross is the same size but the caps on the 760s are a little less than 1/8" larger than the 260s

Ok.... Did you have a reply?

try giving them steroids

Are the ears the same? arent you just removing material from an already weak spot? I would think breaking a small ujoint on the trail is better than breaking the axle after you have "drilled" it out. Am I missing some kind of logic here?

Back