• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Ring & Pinion

jma

NAXJA Forum User
I`m going to change ring&pinion in my XJ.
It has a 2.5 litre engine like you have in TJ`s. D30 & C8.25
Which webstore has the most affordable stuff to buy?
Today i have 4.10 gearing, but want 4.56 or 4.88 - what do you think? I run 31" now, but will have the option to go for 32" or maybe 33".

Thanks! I found the PORC website, but they dont seem to have r&p for C8.25.., or lockers (i need locker for my rear to).

Is there any webadress for Rawbrown?

Maybe stupid question, but what is PBB?

Pirate bulliten board

www.pirate4x4.com similar to this forum, only people are jerks and everything has to have a hard core type issue to even be looked at. PBB is a forum for all 4x4's, not just cherokee's

check it out - always fun to look at what the "hard core" guys are doing...

jma said:
I`m going to change ring&pinion in my XJ.
It has a 2.5 litre engine like you have in TJ`s. D30 & C8.25
Which webstore has the most affordable stuff to buy?
Today i have 4.10 gearing, but want 4.56 or 4.88 - what do you think? I run 31" now, but will have the option to go for 32" or maybe 33".

Noone caught this yet but your limit is 4.56. This is due to the fact that you're running the Chrysler 8.25 axle. ALso you might want to go to RAndy's Ring and Pinion directly since you're going to be getting your stuff sent all the way to Norway. Just watch the website as they advertise deals every so often.
Lastly the move from 4.11's to 4.56's isn't going to be much.Y You might want to consider looking first for a different rear axle (I know it can be hard to do so in Norway but it might be worth a shot) so that you can go to 4.88's (especially if you want to go up to 33's in the long run)

Maybe i was to quick about to say i have 4.11, it could be that i have 3.73?, so i will check that tomorrow. If i have 3.73 i guess 4.56 would help?
And as you say Kejtar, not easy to find "spare" rearaxles. Maybe i can find a D35 pretty easy, but why should i go for a D35 when a D44 would be better - and those are harder to find.

I will check out Randys, thanks :)

jma said:
Maybe i was to quick about to say i have 4.11, it could be that i have 3.73?, so i will check that tomorrow. If i have 3.73 i guess 4.56 would help?
And as you say Kejtar, not easy to find "spare" rearaxles. Maybe i can find a D35 pretty easy, but why should i go for a D35 when a D44 would be better - and those are harder to find.

I will check out Randys, thanks :)
Actually if you have 2.5 it is very possible that you have the 4.11's. For the most part that's how the 2.5 models come equipped in the US (yeah yeah there are exceptions but this is the more common setup).
If you don't need to upgrade the gears NOW I'd wait and look for an axle. Look for the D44 or the Ford 8.8 (you can search for info on the 8.8 swap throughout this forum)

I have to check, and if i have 3.73 i think i will go for 4.56. But if its 4.11, i think i`ll wait, and look for another axle as you say. I`m dont have to change gearings NOW, but its a pain in the *** when trying to keep up with the traffic in hills etc.. you know.

Cant find out if i have 3.73 or 4.11, the tag that supposed to be there is missing.
So is it just waste to buy 4.56 gearing if i have 4.11?
I`m not sure i want to swap rear axle..yet. Hard to find, and maybe this swap isnt just one weekend job?

I got a packageprice from Rawbrown for complete R&P (both axles), installation kits etc $890 including Powertrax No-slip for C8.25

jma said:
Cant find out if i have 3.73 or 4.11, the tag that supposed to be there is missing. So is it just waste to buy 4.56 gearing if i have 4.11? I`m not sure i want to swap rear axle..yet. Hard to find, and maybe this swap isnt just one weekend job? I got a packageprice from Rawbrown for complete R&P (both axles), installation kits etc $890 including Powertrax No-slip for C8.25
swapping a rear axle is pretty simple, but yuo have to have the luxury of being able to prep it to fit first. if you can build the axle on yoiur living room floor without messing with yoiur jeep your ahead. as far as gears, i have never seen a 4 cyl xj with anything other than 4.11s, so i would guess that's what you got. you can take it apart and count the teeth! :D

Ok, i guess i have 4.11 then :)
So; should i just skip regearing axles to 4.56, and go look for another axle instead?
I guess it will take some time to find the right axle, so i will keep my 31"s on, and drop changing to 32 or 33"s until new axle and 4.88 is on.

Back