• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Quality of Roughcountry lifts

ecrogers

NAXJA Forum User
I am looking at a 3" used Rough Country lift w/rear leafsprings. Anybody have any experience with these?

I am curious about installation difficulty, durability, and how complete the kits are.

Thanks

I put one on my GF's 98 xj and it seems to work pretty damn good. It was the 3 in front coil, and the 2 in add a leaf rear with a 1 in spacer block. Only issue I ran into was those damn bar pin bolts on the shock in the rear sheared off. Had to knock em out and slide bolts up through the unibody. Otherwise, I guess the only other thing I would mention is to get a spring compressor to save time cause taking the U and L control arms off was a pain in the ass. If your gonna do a full spring in the rear then u can pick up the front coils on ebay for 60 bucks "buy it now" so...... no issues so far and it bumped it up pretty good, the whole kit was $140 so how could i go wrong imo. The ride quality is better than before the lift too, and better than my CJ and YJ. my 2 cents.

My first lift was the 3" RC, it was not complete (no shocks, brake lines, t-case drop) and the rear was and AAL and a 1" block. I think it's a good kit if you are looking for the cheapest possible 3" lift. Mine was $100 from JC Whitney and I used a yj brakeline in the rear, relocated my front lines, I needed new shocks anyway and I didn't need a t-case drop. I still run the 3" coils now and I like them, they are stiff but they balance well with my bastard leaf packs. If you are paying much more than $100 for it I would pass. I only got 2" out of the front because I have an UpCountry model so I removed my bottom leafs because they were broken. I also broke the block after about a year.
http://www.picturevillage.com/photo/data/c8862fc1a32725712838863fb1a260b9/full_8054_p98677.jpg

Here is a pic with 30" tires.
http://www.picturevillage.com/photo/data/c8862fc1a32725712838863fb1a260b9/full_5095_p71181.jpg

Last edited:
CW, what's with the rear of your truck, looks a hell of a lot lower than mine, did u get the short or long rear aal? Right now my GF's XJ sits higher than my YJ with a 4 inch lift, but my YJ has lots of heavy stuff in it, winch, spare axle shafts and tons of recovery gear? did u install the rear wrong from the get go. I like how it looks with 30x9x15 tires. Your right about the kit not being complete, but for 3 inches you don't need to do a TC drop, no vibes either, just replace the shocks....., the brake lines don't even come close to full stretch.

In that pick I am in a ditch and on a slight uphill. The rear drivers tire is stuffed into the wheel well. It was fairly flexed up there. I had to park there because my old engine liked to leak oil all over the street. I wheeled mine pretty hard and my brake lines wre definately too short, I still have the kit and I will probably give it to one of my buddies after I replace the front coils. I made new blocks out of 1/2" plate after I spit one the blocks out.

Heres a Pic in the same spot with close to my current setup.
http://www.picturevillage.com/photo/data/c8862fc1a32725712838863fb1a260b9/full_5095_p233102.jpg

Last edited:
So if I get the 3" roughcountry what else do I need to get to do a nice job starting completely stock? A complete laundry list would be a huge help.

Also, I want to put 31's on it, do you think this is enough lift?

Thanks

3 inches will be plenty of lift
Youll need the lower controll arms. you can get them from roughcountry. I think they were like 60 some bucks. http://rough.roughcountry.com/
you will need extended break lines or do a lil redneck enginering and straiten the hard lines on the front a lil bit. Youll need longer shocks , and depending on how new yer xj is youll need a sye or a transfer drop. Im running aropund 5 inches of lift with no sye or transfer drop, but my xj is a 90.

Back