• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Help! Ignition problems.

haligan

NAXJA Forum User
:rattle: I am having problems with my ignition system. I parked the Jeep about 2 weeks ago and it ran fine. When I went back it would not start. The motor turns but there is no spark. I pulled the coil wire to the dist. and there was no spark there. So I pulled the ignition coil out and tested it with a multimeter. Everything tested just as the Haynes manual said it should. Coil-good. The manual then said it could be either the coil pick-up or the ICM. I assume the coil pick-up is in the dist.. It looked ok. My problem is if it is the ICM, how do I find it. The manual says it is attached to the ignition coil. It's not! I need to find it so I can replace it. Please Help. Oh yea I also replaced the dist. cap and rotor today. It aslo has Jacobs 8.5mm wires. and a Optima battery.HELP!
Brian

In a '96 you have the PCM (computer) in the front left end of the engine compartment.
For your condition, first thing to check would br the Crankshaft Position Sensor (CPS). It's on your Bellhousing, at about 10 o'clock.

what am I checking for?

I think I found the CPS on the bell housing. Is there a way to check it or do I just replace it. I dont even see how to get it off. But it is at about 2 o'clock. I can't go wheelen until I get this fixed.

It sends a pulse, so checking it is not simple. I have a spare known good one just in case.
Follow the cable (Its route changes with the years, either up the firewall or down near the clutch slave cylinder) and you'l see a connector. You'l need an 11mm wrench / socket to remove the two bolts and if you drop anything inside the housing you'll be in trouble.
Search the forum, there's a bundle of threads on this.

Thanks I did the search on the sensor and found alot of good info. I think it is a good possibility that it is the problem. I guess i will try and tackle it soon. thanks again.

Once you've found the CPS connector, disconnect it and reconnect a few times; there is occasionally corrosion buildup on there that prevents a good signal. If you have to replace the CPS...it sucks and it's best to do it with a second pair of hands up top to hold the socket and grab the bolts before they fall into the bellhousing. The person underneath needs to drive the wrench/extension/wobbly joint/extension/wobbly joint/socket combination. Have fun! :D

I finally replaced the cps after xmas. That was the problem. I used two extensions totaling about 2 feet and a ujoint at the end. It took me by my self about 30 minutes to change. once I charged the batteries again it fired right up. I appreciate all the help.

Back