• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

battery keeps dying

BPB

NAXJA Forum User
for the past couple months I have had a problem with my battery being dead everytime that I try to start it in the morning. I have gone through two brand new batterys. there is obviously something draining my battery, when I turn the ignition off the dummy lights were staying on, so I pulled the bulbs. also my low fule light stays on and the compass / thrmometer stays on. what could this be??? i CAN'T AFFORD BEING LATE FOR WORK ANY MORE. by the way it is a 1990 cherokee leredo 4.0.

Obviously you have a short circuit somewhere. The low fuel light most certainly shouldn't stay on after you turn the key off.

Nonetheless, these little drains shouldn't be enough to kill a good battery overnight. So, either you have some other, much more substantial, short circuit somewhere, or your alternator is not properly charging the battery.

Yep, sounds like a short somewhere in the guage cluster. Since those are supposed to be ignition hot items, I would suspect it as the culprit.

My "88 Limited did the same thing. My glove box light was staying on but I couldn't see it until one night. I adjusted the screws and it was solved!

I will have to check but if I remember right there is a relay that keeps things engergized for a few seconds after you turn off the ignition so the IAC can retract, Sounds like you may have a bad relay. I will see if I can find the wiring manuals tonight.

Have you added any wiring lately, sterio, driving lights etc.? One of the trouble spots, I´ve found, usually associated with the interior lights staying on, is the cables under the front drivers side carpet, they become frayed and oxidized (green stuff) and will cross current to each other and ground.
If you´ve had the kick panels off any time recently, it´s real easy to push a screw through the cable bundle behind the kick panels at the door sill and other places.
I had a ignition switch, that disintegrated (inside), finally jammed, but before it did; I would have strange electrical malfs.

I have added an alarm, roof lights, cross overs, and tweeters on the a pillars. so that may be it, I will check that out, also the rear map lighs just stopped working.

Back