• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

CODE 43 Five Times??? What's the deal?

4Squirrels

NAXJA Forum User
Threw a check engine light today on my 1997 XJ man. trans. Put it in diagnostic mode, and here's what came up:

CODE 12 - Memory controller has been cleared within 50-100 engine starts.
CODE 43 - Ignition control circuit - peak primary circuit current not respond properly with maximum dwell time.
OR, Ignition coil #1, 2, or 3 primary circuits - peak primary was not achieved within the maximum allowable dwell time.
CODE 43
CODE 43
CODE 43
CODE 43
CODE 55 - End of Message

My digital readout actually displayed code 43 five times. What the heck does that mean? Why would it be displayed 5 times? Has anyone run into this before? What solved your problem?

*The codes were referenced from my Chilton's 1984-198 Cherokee repair guide.

Any ideas? Anybody ran a CODE 43? How about five times? I don't have P-numbers. I really can't justify paying some dude to plug in a little computer and give my a few numbers. Now if those numbers were winning lotto numbers, that would be a different story.

4Squirrels said:
Any ideas? Anybody ran a CODE 43? How about five times? I don't have P-numbers. I really can't justify paying some dude to plug in a little computer and give my a few numbers. Now if those numbers were winning lotto numbers, that would be a different story.
http://www.go.jeep-xj.info/HowtoECUcodes.htm Also you might want to buy yourself one of the code readers. The simple one with the capablity to reset check engine light costs abotu $100 and they are very handy.

For What its worth looking at the 1996 Factory manual, code 43 has 7 'sub codes'
one of which is what you quoted above, the others are indicating specfically which cylinder(s) are misfiring. Thats prob'ly why its repeating -- a better scan tool should show the sub codes.

P0301 = cyl 1 misfire 302=cyl2 etc..

Back