• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

SkidPlates (NEWBee)

RobCherokeeXJ89

NAXJA Forum User
Hello all, I have a 89 XJ and am ready to start buying some skid plates underneath. So far I have rocker skids and that's it... What should be my next steps for skids underneath. I'm aiming toward Transfer Case, Gas Tank, and Engine/Tranny, and for the gas tank and engine/tranny i was thinking about going w/ Skid Row and the Transfer Case rock lizard fabrications. Does anyone have ne opinions on what they think i should do? it would help a lot thanks...

Oh and also, the wheeling I want to start doing is going to b moderate w/ a few difficulties every once in a while, right now i'm running a 4 in lift w/ 32 x 11.5's

You can drive with dented gas tank and rockers. You cannot, however, drive if your transfer case is ripped in half. If I were to put them in order: T-case, rockers, gas tank.

I honestly don't see much call for the engine/ tranny skid, but to each their own.

Last edited:
Do the gas tank first, it's really annoying to put one on and find out that the plastic is just hiding a big dent (but that explains the bad gas mileage lately), also replacement tanks are about $100 used and lots more then that from the dealership.

The only times that I’ve tagged my t-case plate are when i suddenly think that my jeep is taller/stronger/faster then it really is. I've tagged the tank more times then I like to talk about (especially pre-skid plate.)

But then again I did a t-case plate then the gas tank so go figure. :)

what's this you say about rock-sliders.... that would be a good idea....

t-case for shure - on the xj it is one of the low points - and its center meaning that you are more likely to hit it.

T-case first
Engine tranny next (IMO) - a busted in oil pan is no fun for the guy that has to strap you all the way to the gas station because your engine seized due to overheating because of oil circulation bieng down (oil pump is in the oil pan therefor - smashed oil pan = BAD!)
Gas tank 3rd - if you have a reciever hitch on the back, you will hit that more often than the gas tank anyway
Front skid is worthless after you lift anyway, steering box is semi - protected and radiator a little bit - but that is going way deeper into the rock-land than i have ever been...

Cherokees had factory options for - T-case skid, gas tank skid and front skid that work well on my vehicle. some sites to look at:

www.rustysoffroad.com <- i have their t-case and oil pan/tranny skid
http://www.dpgoffroad.com/ <- if i were to buy annother t-case skid - id get this one i like the cat protection that it offers (look at the products menu - on the left - click DPG stuff)

if you have 10,000 to spend -
http://www.poisonspidercustoms.com/index2.php

protect everything under there... i have tagged my tank more times than the t/case, but i agree the t/case will be a bigger problem if it breaks.. if you find the right rock, the t/case will be your high-center pivot point.. you break the aluminum housing when you rest the entire rig on it... saw it happen just last week..

There have been tons of similar threads about this and their order. Everyone has their opinions.

My order is this.
1. Tow points front and back (I know they are not skids but they should be mentioned).
2. Diff guard for front dif
3. Transfer case (stock is worthless)
4. Rock sliders (under doors)
5. Gas Tank (stock is decent)
6. Diff guard for rear dif
7. Engine and Tranny
8. Front (I like the stock one for those who spend time in either the mud, water or snow and can not always see what might be on the trail in front of you)

dont neglect those puny lca skids. i wish i had em a few weeks ago, twice. i am working on making some now. i ripped the axle mount on one and welded it back then ripped it again last weekend.

At only 3" of lift and on 31's, my trip across the rubicon led to the following observations.

The rocks severely abused my rocker protection, gas tank skid, and 'frame' rails.

I beefed up the factory t-case skid prior to the trip, and since it had a nice fresh coat of paint, I can say that the trip resulted in just a couple light scratches.

Neither the front nor rear differential cover had any dents, only some scratches on the bottom lips.

Despite what everyone says about the front skid, I think that it is a real benefit for shorter rigs. I know it drove me up over rocks that otherwise would have hit my tie rod

The LCA axle mounts didnt take much abuse, but the frame mounts sure did. I will reinforce those before i put skids on the axle.

I didnt touch the oil pan, except with the top of the stering stabillizer, and no skid is going to help that.

The way you wheel would have a big impact on the usefulness of any of the skids - but I am happy with what I have for the most part.

2xtreme said:
3. Transfer case (stock is worthless)
My 97 has a stock t-case skid, and its very beefy and has easily supported the weight of the vehicle without bending or buckling or even denting. I would not call it worthless, although I do wish it had a bit more coverage. Did they come with different skidplates over the years, or why do you say its worthless, simply due to coverage?
Beej.

yotaparts said:
my gas tank has taken more hits than anything else, that would be first if i was in your place
speaking of the gas tank skid, I am in also need of one- do the gas tanks rupture easily when slammed on a rock? Ive come as close as haveing 3 deep grooves cut into my tank

Alrighty, so i've decided that i'm going to go w/ buying all the skid plates that I want. Heres a list and tell me what you think about the products.

1.Gas Tank-Skid Row(any better brands?)
2.Transfer Case-(Rock Lizard Fab)
3.Differentials-(Poison Spyder)
4.Engine Tranny(Rustys)
5.LCA's(JKS MFG)

Tell me What you think

RobCherokeeXJ89 said:
Alrighty, so i've decided that i'm going to go w/ buying all the skid plates that I want. Heres a list and tell me what you think about the products.

1.Gas Tank-Skid Row(any better brands?)
2.Transfer Case-(Rock Lizard Fab)
3.Differentials-(Poison Spyder)
4.Engine Tranny(Rustys)
5.LCA's(JKS MFG)

Tell me What you think
I think you have numbers 1 and 2 in the wrong order.

I will reiterate that you cannot drive out of a trail with a split T-case. Just because a bunch of guys got lucky and smashed their gas tank rather than their TC, doesn't make the GT skid more valuable than the TC skid.

While it is true that the tank can get dented, bent, and otherwise cratered, do you want to risk being stranded or being the cause of an oil spill?

Not to mention inconveniencing your buddies while they wait on you to clean up said spill and then tow your butt through the rest of the trail that they just may have wanted to wheel themselves, because you would rather not dent your precious gas tank.

It's a no-brainer.

Save your money and at least get both, but get your priorites straight. Then again, you may already have your priorities set.

hey man there is a group buy in the southeast section of naxja take a look at carolinarockshopunlimiteds crossmember w/ t-case and tranny skid. over all you'll save money going this way and it's built to suit

Back