• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

OkieFab SYE teasers

OT

NAXJA Forum User
Here are just a few of the many pics I have of my progress on the OkieFab NP242 SYE. I should be done next week, when I'll post all the pics from start to finish.

I hope this endeavor works out for the best, but if all my efforts end up going to shit, I can just buy the prefabbed parts and be less satisfied.

What am I doing tomorrow? Working on turning down the tail cone, of course.

More to come.

is.php

is.php

is.php

is.php

is.php

is.php

Do this
or spend $80 for the part and a 15min install and be done.

BUCKYXJ said:
Do this
I could have, but that's not the point.

Besides, from the main shaft to the rear axle yoke, TW wants $700 for the kit. I still have yet to build the drive shaft. As I said, "Next week."

Clean-RC said:
Good idea.....
How are you going to lock the yoke down on the main shaft??? Or are you cutting down the mainshaft for threads or a taped hole for a bolt??
The shaft will be tapped for internal threads. I strongly considered external threads. However, due to the hardness of the material dictating the number of passes and the need for fine threads, I didn't want to put too much effort into making several passes and run the risk of trashing it all with one small mis-setting of the lathe.

We shall see, my friend.

With a press fit of 20 tons at 10 thousandths over and 4 staggered plug welds with alloy 500 and the TC end of the yoke has a solid bead all the way around, I hope it will work out.

To answer your 1st question, yeah, some boredom, some desire to do something outside the box. Mostly, I just wanted to see if it could be done reliably with minimal resources by a non engineer/ manufacturer.

I welcome your doubts, Mark.

BUCKYXJ said:
Do this
Easy choice for me. $80 buys a lot of shots of Cabo.

Okie Terry said:
I hear the Cabo chills naturally in the Northern Midwest.
Really? I had not heard that.

I don't need mine to be as pretty. Can I cut off the splined section of a yoke and weld it to the side gear?

XtremeJ said:
I don't need mine to be as pretty. Can I cut off the splined section of a yoke and weld it to the side gear?
Don't know. But I sure wouldn't trust one weld to handle the shearing from the torque of the engine.

Hell, I don't even know if this'll work out. I believe it will, but I'm prepared for it to fail miserably.

Word of caution though, the splines of the side gear will need to be worked down alot, as one end of the gear is more or less made smaller than the other end. One end will slide right on and the other will only press fit on. Unworked, it took 10 tons of pressure to get the gear onto the shaft. I suppose if your TC shaft is worn a little, it'll go on easier.

Back