• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Ratcheting from front locker when sliding on ice

Fergie

NAXJA Forum User
With the weather as it is today, I hit an ice patch coming down a hill today and went to step on the brakes and when I did, I judged it wrong and ended up locking the brakes and sliding for a few feet. When I started to slide and the brakes were locked, my front LockRight started to ratchet something awful. It stopped as soon as the brakes unlocked, and sounded the same as when turning into a parking space.

Is this kind of ratcheting that should be occurring or is it something odd?

Thanks for the help.

Fergie

i would say that you did not have all the wheels locked up... only one.. the rolling wheel made it ratchet, if both were locked there would be no movement..

sidriptide said:
i would say that you did not have all the wheels locked up... only one.. the rolling wheel made it ratchet, if both were locked there would be no movement..

agree'd

Yup agree also....happened to me a bit last winter. Not looking forward to it this winter. If it allows, stuck your head out the door while it happens and look at the tires, you will see that only one is locked up. Almost a grrrrrrr sound. Can't be good having them ratchet that fast I think.

Brett

bretto said:
Yup agree also....happened to me a bit last winter. Not looking forward to it this winter. If it allows, stuck your head out the door while it happens and look at the tires, you will see that only one is locked up. Almost a grrrrrrr sound. Can't be good having them ratchet that fast I think.

Brett
I would think that if you were going even say 10 MPH and had one wheel locked up and the other one spinning it would still be moving at ten times the speed as it would if you were turning a corner and the wheels were just moving at normal "diferent speeds"
Ok now that i look at what I just said I don't know that it made much .00$

DrMoab said:
I would think that if you were going even say 10 MPH and had one wheel locked up and the other one spinning it would still be moving at ten times the speed as it would if you were turning a corner and the wheels were just moving at normal "diferent speeds"
Ok now that i look at what I just said I don't know that it made much .00$
I know what you are saying but when you are in a turn at any speed in normal driving conditions, the inside wheel is still turning at some ratio depending on the sharpness of the turn. At 10mph with one wheel locked that is a good spin on locker. Normally in a turn it is a knock....knock...knock. When one locks up it is a good grrrrrrrrrr sound.

bretto said:
I know what you are saying but when you are in a turn at any speed in normal driving conditions, the inside wheel is still turning at some ratio depending on the sharpness of the turn. At 10mph with one wheel locked that is a good spin on locker. Normally in a turn it is a knock....knock...knock. When one locks up it is a good grrrrrrrrrr sound.
LOL I think we are trying to make the same point.... Told you what I said made no cents :laugh3:

I get what you guys are saying. I didnt even think about it being one wheel locked. In fact I am pretty sure it is the passenger front that is doing it. I'll check tomorrow if it is crummy weather again.

Thanks

Fergie

Fergie said:
I get what you guys are saying. I didnt even think about it being one wheel locked. In fact I am pretty sure it is the passenger front that is doing it. I'll check tomorrow if it is crummy weather again.

Thanks

Fergie
How much snow you get there in town?
Its going to snow here this week sometime. Our mountians are getting blasted. I wanna go play soooo bad!

At my wife and I's place we got 4" or so. My parents got about 7" and they only live a few miles outside of town. The snow is REALLY wet though, nt the popcorn fart stuff. Trees are breaking all over the place and tires get packed quick.

The peaks have about 2' mid-mountain and 15" at the lwoest lodge.

Fergie

Fergie said:
At my wife and I's place we got 4" or so. My parents got about 7" and they only live a few miles outside of town. The snow is REALLY wet though, nt the popcorn fart stuff. Trees are breaking all over the place and tires get packed quick.

The peaks have about 2' mid-mountain and 15" at the lwoest lodge.

Fergie
You guys have needed a good snow year for a few now. Maybe this will be the one. We have two ski resorts opening this weekend and they say the last time that happend was in 82-83. That was the year it flooded so bad.

As for your lockers. I have a detroit in the back and I have so much fun in that thing as long as I am in 4wd. In 2wd its scarry as hell.

I say let the wife drive, duct tape youself to the hood and she gets up to say 60mph and locks up the brakes, then if you will stop screaming like a little girl you can see if only one wheel is locked up. HTH

Fergie said:

Thanks

Fergie
Let me know how it was THIS morning. :laugh3: There's ice everywhere!
FWIW, I didn't even use 4WD. My rear No-Slip did fine, unless I WANTED it to break loose. :gag: (did I say that?) :laugh3:

BillR said:
Let me know how it was THIS morning. :laugh3: There's ice everywhere!
FWIW, I didn't even use 4WD. My rear No-Slip did fine, unless I WANTED it to break loose. :gag: (did I say that?) :laugh3:
Aww com one, they werent that bad. Just goose it around a corner and you're good.

Some dude coming up the road by Safeway almost nailed a few other vehicles this morning. He was at the curve jsut past the light on Milton and was going to fast and his back end slid out to the right and he ended up facing the other way. I just smiled and kept driving by.

Fergie

Ok question for you snow guys with front lockers. This is my first winter with a front locker ( aussie locker) I have an ARB in the back ( ya I know it should be the other way around) so my question is if I need 4 wheel drive when I go to my cabin in the snow what are the effects of the front being locked and the rear being open. This would be on a paved mountain road with snow and some ice at times.

Do you have a 231 transfer case?

I havent driven long distances in the snow in 4wd yet, so I cant anser your question. I have an LSD in the rear and locked front, and everything is fine so far when driving in 2h.

If you can make it in 2, then do it, and go to either locked rear or 4h when you need to. take it out first and see how it tracks before a long trip up a dangerous mountain.

Fergie

Ya 231 case. Good idea I will try it out in parking lot or down my street first and see what happens. Thanks for the quick reply.

jeepme said:
Ok question for you snow guys with front lockers. This is my first winter with a front locker ( aussie locker) I have an ARB in the back ( ya I know it should be the other way around) so my question is if I need 4 wheel drive when I go to my cabin in the snow what are the effects of the front being locked and the rear being open. This would be on a paved mountain road with snow and some ice at times.
most likely it will not want to turn in 4wd. Its that way in the dirt, I would imagine it would be that way in the snow too. Prolly not as scary as a locker in the rear in 2wd though.

Back