• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

tire opinions

Moto

NAXJA Member #576
Well after about 40k+ on my Cooper Discoverer S/T 235/75 r15's they are about done. So I am in the market for some new tires probably around the same size because my Jeep is stock height. I want something more aggressive but that has water siping because I do have to drive alot in the snow and it seems to help out a bit, plus I do a decent amount of highway driving so wear could be an issue. What does everyone recomend? I know procomp makes a mud terrian that would fit my needs but at around 140 a tire I am not sure about that. Whats everyone think about the Khumo they look like they have siping but I don't know about how well they wear.

I think Pro comp has a buy three get 1 free deal going on right now. As for the Kumhos, I think those will be my next set of tires. I haven't ridden them, but Ive seen them mounted with high miles and they seem to wear pretty evenly with a lot of highway miles.

I have Kumhos. They are a pretty quiet tire for a MT. I drove 2500 miles across country on them. So far, I am pleased. They have done well in the snow that we had in the Tetons a month ago.

I'm getting a set of the Cooper Discoverer STT's I had a set of 235's on my TJ right b4 I sold it and really liked them. However I am in the South! Snow? Isn't that that white stuff?

If you want something that will last a long time and has a really nice combination of road manners and off road agressiveness go with the Michelin LTX A/T's they will definitely out last any other tire out there. The only thing is they might not be agressive enough for you if you are shopping around for a Mud Terrain tire. Good Luck

Im in the south too, but in a wacky weather zone. A couple of months ago it was 75 degrees outside, the next day it was snowing...go figure. Back to topic though, The pro comp ATs I was using at the time handled snow really really well.

I just saw that deal with the procomps buy 3 get one free sounds like a good deal but they only offer the mud terrain in 30/9.50R15 is that the true size? I think it might cause some rubbing if it is.

Mud terrains don't generally have siping, and aren't generally that good in snow. Moto, for what you describe as your conditions of use, I think a good A/T will be more what you need that an M/T.

tire choices

Procomp makes a decent tire (AT) for your usage, but I went to several retailer sites and haven't found any specials on them yet. Who is selling them at "buy 3 - get 1 free"?

BLUTO :)

procomp is advertising the whole buy one get one free I dunno if it is up to the dealer to honor that or what. I don't really want an all terrain It would be perfect if procomp or truxus made them in 29's rather than 30 or 31 : ( ohwell looks like I will probably be sticking to a new set of coopers they are more aggressive than any set of All-terrains that I have ever seen. Thanks for all the opinions I will have to remember that when the Jeep isn't so vertically challenged

I'm also looking for good mud tires. 31x10.5. I have a second set of stock rims, so I'll use them just for offroad. What do I look for? Whats the diff between the $200 Micky thompson or the $90 pepboys special. Im a beginer so be kind.
90xj 4.0 auto 3"lift all skids c4x4f&r bumpers

The Pep Boys mud tire is the Cooper Discoverer STT -- it's made for Pep Boys by Cooper and it's a great tire. However, if you have a good Cooper dealer in your town, you should be able to get the real thing for less than Pep Boys' price.

WRANGLER MT/R

I am really excited about the Goodyear MT/R! They perform well on the street with good wear and low noise, but they perform extremely well in the dirt, only drawback is the price!:bunny:

I have had great service from BFG (old tread) MTs, also from an oddball Wide Climber MT It and its BFG twin have worn evenly.

My supervisor got a set of Hoosier ATs 30x9.50 back in February for $55 a tire IIRC. These are more aggressive tread than BFG or equiv ATs, Lots of siping and room for water/mud to escape. They seem to be wearing well...he uses his p/u to haul loads of firewood. I rode in it Friday with the windows down and they
were quiet.

One of the engineers at work has Cooper STT 31x10.5 on his 1/2t diesel Chevy farm truck. He says they work good in the NC clay mud, and those have seemed to wear well for him

IMHO Nothing wrong with BFG MT in 30x9.50 if you can swallow the pricetag. I hear discount warehouses like Sam's Club and Costco etc...have great deals on name-brand tires.

Through my work I am able to get Cooper Tires at dealer cost for myself so I may see what the Price is for the mudterrains, probably less than pep boys. I may just suck it up and buy the med terrains and deal with them in the snow. I was looking at thE GOODYEAR MT/R's they are currently on special at tirerack.com but I have heard they they don't balance well

I don't know how you guys get all the milleage out of tires that you do. I drive half gravel and half highway with my stuff. The gravel must really eat tires because I am happy if I get 25k out of a set of tires. And that is regular non agressive tires.

Back